*AuthorTopic: So, CP server is a failure...  (Read 5182 times)

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
So, CP server is a failure...
« on: June 07, 2014, 07:31:31 AM »
Well, we tried a CP server, and it is rarely to never used. At least when it was PL, it was full sometimes, a lot more than CP. I've tried to seed CP, and have gotten it going, but it seems after a few key people leave, the server dies in short order. I'd love to play CP, but really get burnt out seeding, just to have it die after a short period of time.

So, what I am thinking is, maybe go back to 2 PL servers, but make the second a "no random critz", and possibly, only 24 players server. Out of boredom, I've been playing 24 slot servers, and find it rather enjoyable. The spam factor is not nearly as annoying......still annoying, but not nearly as much.

Is this something we could consider? Would others like to see this? Speak up, either way. Your input helps determine what happens.

P.S.

Or, we could we try a mixed map server maybe? Still no randoms and 24 but a mix of maps. I realize it would have an effect on quick-play but I think we have enough of a community we don't need to rely on quick-play. And frankly, quick-play has done squat to help CP, so I don't think it's really needed.

I guess it would be "a regulars" server. Something for those who frequent Hyperion and just want change.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:39:23 AM by Wolfpup »

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: So, CP server is a failure...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 11:01:28 AM »
Well, when Chainspell would gather us up to fill the server, it was great. The server stayed filled for hours. But after he has been gone for so long, yea it has been dead. I dont know how hard it would be if it would be a mixed server with both Payload and CP. That would be great to switch from Payload to CP without a major decline in players.

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
I agree with wolfpup, a 24 person server would be great without random crits would be great. Some of the maps like hoodoo and barnblitz kinda suck on the 32 person server cause the maps aren't designed for that many players. When this is the case you can't effectively play certain classes like scout and spy and it's just a mindless spamfest. Whether it be a mix of purely payload I'd be down.
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

Eraserpie

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »
I feel like the second server will always just be a place to wait until you can get into the main server. When I'm waiting to get in, I'm almost always playing koth because Payload requires too much of a time investment. You can't just leave a game if you get into a server if its a Payload server unlike a koth which is essentially just a killfest/warmup that you can leave whenever. However, I still think it should be a 24 person server because 32 person koth is eh.
hi its hairflip

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:13:26 PM »
Thank you all for sharing ideas for the 2nd server.
It didn't work unfortunately, there are many reasons, some we don't have any control over (quickplay changes).

I'm currently traveling for another week, so I can't really spend too much time online, but I'll definitely post my thoughts here when I come back home!
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

nergal

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 11:16:36 AM »
maybe instead of putting up a regular ol' CP server, add something different to it?

How about my Military Tank class serverside mod? :)

JackCnKing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
I think Wolf's suggestion is pretty good. Make it into 24 players. 32 players slot just discourages people to join. Payload is all I play. Never get bored of it.  :)

ShadowOS

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »
I've always liked the idea of a mixed map server. I don't think the server would clear out so fast if people knew another payload map was just around the corner. That way people get to play both payload and experience the fun of CP and Attack/Defend.

I never really paid much attention to the second server before it was CP. Either because that server never existed or because everyone I wanted to play with was on the first server anyway. Whenever I got the chance I'd help fill it and definitely play on it (when it was CP).

Basically I'm hoping that other avenues are explored before having a second payload server :)

Fila!

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
Yeah I like a mixed server as well. When I used to stay in europe there's a british server that runs mixed maps (and no silly insta-respawn) and it was tremendous.

Besides, with map voting if the majority want they can vote a PL, otherwise if everyone feels for a change we can vote for a CP.

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:43:48 PM »
What did the server used to be??? I think an all talk 32 payload (was significantly full constantly too if i remember).  I think HYPERION's population is mostly into PL (with the exception of some new regulars taht have joined us the last year) so I can immediately see that the CP server wasn't goign to be a success although I do believe it was worth a shot.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
The 2nd server has been a lot of things, hah.

The goal was both to have a server with a different game mode than Payload, and to attract more people to the community (other than PL junkies like all of us lol). Unfortunately, the only time it was a little bit successful was when we were running the same setup as for the Payload server.

Feedback then was the 2nd server is just a waiting room before getting on the PL server, so we changed things around again. Chainspell then wanted to have a full CP rotation, but with custom CP maps. It kinda worked, but only as long as regulars actually joined the server, even when empty to seed. Obviously, if only 2-3 people are seeding, it's not going to work on a new server.

To make matters worse, Valve has been actively working against community servers with a long list of recent changes. The worst is the change they made to Quickplay: Valve and community servers used to be equal in the system. Now, Valve always have a huge priority compared to community servers. Finally, by default, the community servers are hidden in the Quickplay menu. It looks like Valve doesn't really need community servers anymore, except maybe during massive event like Halloween... and then again, at some point you might only get "new special event" items from their servers.

Urgh, that's enough lol. Anyway, I've changed the 2nd server yet again based on an idea from another thread here. It's currently running a Dustbowl/Goldrush rotation. I know it's not the most exciting and innovative rotation, but the goal right now is simply to get some traffic going on the server, and maybe attract some new players to the community.

Here's the thread if you guys want to share your thoughts/feedback on the new configuration:
http://hyperiongaming.org/index.php?topic=716.0

Public Group:
--
Private Group: