*AuthorTopic: Humble Bundle NS2  (Read 2910 times)

Twisted_Shadow

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Back From Vacation
    • View Profile
Humble Bundle NS2
« on: April 07, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »
NS2 is on the Humble Weekly Bundle for 2 more Days (April 7) for those who don't have it! Its a good game.

Now, question for those who still do play.... What keeps you guys playing, even though some of you paid 25$ for it (More if you got soundtrack), while others are getting it for 1$+ (3$+ for Soundtrack)

Charabis

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Bundle NS2
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
Wish I knew  :D  I've met a lot of good people and they still play it.  So I guess it's more for the community than anything else for me.  Just wish the trolls and bots would go away  :P

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »
Yes, definitely. For $1, it doesn't even matter if you won't ever play the game.
Heck, you can sell the NS2 steam cards (though they'll probably drop in price a lot).

NS2 is a great game, it takes a little bit more time/effort to understand the game than other shooters like BF/CoD/Titanfall, and it can be brutal, but our two servers are "noobs" friendly, and when you keep your "new player" green color, most veterans will help and answer questions.

Just don't jump in the command chair/alien hive if you have no clue what you're doing. You can give it a try if the server is empty though.

We don't have NS2 donor benefits yet, so that means if you're currently a TF2 donor, you won't be able to skip the server queue or get any in-game perks... for now. No ETA yet on a NS2 donor membership, equivalent to our TF2 membership.
--
Here's the humble bundle link: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

--
Unfortunately, I haven't played NS2 in a while. Main reasons are I just don't have enough time lately, and there are just way too many new games that I also want to play: Diablo 3 expansion, Warlock2/Age of Wonders 3... Hell, I have so many games on my backlog: Thief, Metro Last Light, AssCreed 3/4, Far Cry 3, etc...

I'd love to see new maps and maybe new weapons/alien evolutions. Oh, and most of all, better mod support, especially for admin management tools, but that's just me!

As for the $1 price, I don't mind. I'd rather see more NS2 players. I'm always worried the game might die without new players joining. So far, our servers are full almost all day, so it's great. I've actually paid more than $25 for NS2, I even donated for the Shadow badge/skins. I see what the devs are doing. They don't want to go the F2P way (pay for unlocks, skins, etc...) and they don't want to make paid map packs to divide the community etc... At this point, I've donated enough, at least until I see major changes like new maps. Heck, I should get a special badge for running the servers haha! ;)

The one thing that worries me about the $1 price... hackers, trolls and cheaters. We're going to have the same problem we have with TF2 today. In F2P TF2, a hacker or a troll can keep coming back forever. Ban ID? Make a new account. Ban IP? Just hide behind a VPN or heck, maybe just have a dynamic IP.

At least with NS2, once you ban their ID, they need to buy a new copy to come back. Now? I expect hackers/trolls to buy like 10 different humble bundles and make dummy steam accounts. That's why I wish we had actual cheat detection tools, a global ban list or better cheat detection plugins like we have on TF2. It's impossible to get rid of trolls/cheaters completely, but at least make it harder for them. And I don't see anything from the devs on that front, that worries me.

At least a better spectator mode to check suspicious players, and a better way to record in-game demos properly. It seems the devs are moving on to a new game however, we'll see how much support NS2 will receive in the future.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:36:06 PM by Plasma »
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Charabis

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
AssCreed 3/4

Took me a minute to realize what games you meant.  Thought you'd accidentally included some naughty movies in your list :P

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:10 PM »
Haha. Yea...
I totally didn't do that. Right. Nope. ;)
//EDIT//
Public Group:
--
Private Group: