*AuthorTopic: Trolls  (Read 8272 times)

Roflcopter

• Ex-NS2 Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Trolls
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
The amount of them is too damn high, where are the admins?

GATO

• Ex-NS2 Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Trolls
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:32:37 AM »
Hey Roflcopter. Hope this ends soon. I can't get a game in during the prime hours of the night. Ns servers are prone.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »
We have several admin applications we're currently reviewing. It seems the trolls are the worst in the evening/night (PST), and we'll speed things up to make sure we have at least a couple of additional admins to help.

Sorry again for the lack of communication there; I've been pretty busy lately, and our NS2 team is still quite tiny. Oh, and if you could post the name (best would be their SteamID) of players trolling, it would be also very helpful (a screenshot/video would be even better, but their ID would already be a big plus). Thanks!
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Andy

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:30:02 AM »
From 7:30 to 10:30, two trolls ruined game after game after game, over and over, non-stop.

We kicked them.  We ejected them from com.  We did everything we could, game after game after game.   If we successfully ejected them from the comms of both teams, they would split up, and tell each other where the other team was, and still ruin the game.   If nothing else, they would copy the name of someone else, and then text and mic spam until either we, or even themselves, started a vote kick, knowing there was a 50/50 chance of kicking the wrong person.

This... is insane.    It's not worth it, it's not fun, and it ruins everything for everyone.

If you can't have admins available I understand....  give us the ability to vote ban these people.

A one hour vote ban that other servers have.

Can it be abused?  Yes.     Is it worth it?   Yes.    We had 3 full hours of non-stop trolling abuse.    Eventually if you give people the ability to vote ban, either everyone will be forced off the server by the trollers, which at least ends the abuse.  Trolling doesn't work when there is no one to troll, and again, the ban is only an hour.

On the other hand, if enough people vote ban the trolls, they are forced off the server for at at least an hour, and then you can have some decent games in the mean time.

But the way things are working out now.... If this ever happens again, I'm just going to not come back to your servers if we can't do anything about trolls.  It's got to stop, or people won't be on these servers anymore.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »
Hey Andy,

Thank you for your report. I'm sorry these guys have ruined the game for everyone on the server.

We've been hit by a "troll wave" the last few days while I was away on a short trip. We've already banned a couple, but I'm not sure we removed those two you were talking about. I'll go through the logs, to try to identify them, but in the future it really helps a lot if you could find their SteamID.

I understand they were changing names to evade vote kick or even being reported. Here's how you can find who they are easily:

While playing on the server, open the game console. Default keybind is "~" (or "`") on the upper-left of the keyboard (QWERTY). In the window that opened, type in: "sh_status" then press ENTER.
It should now display the name of all connected players as well as their STEAMID.
You should see two numbers for STEAMID: a long number and a STEAM_X:Y:XXXXX format. You only need to record the first one (the long number). The second one is useful if you want to find that players' profile using http://steamidfinder.com/.

(Explanation: the STEAM_X:Y:XXXXX ID is the real SteamID as used by Steam. The long number is the ID used by NS2 using this formula: IF STEAM_0:N:X then NS2ID = 2*X+N)

I will advertise the "sh_status" command in-game so that players can report trolls/cheaters a lot more easily.
--
Regarding a public voteban command, I will think about it. As you mentioned, it's a command that could be abused by those same trolls we need to remove. A short temporary ban might be a good compromise though.

Finally, you can always post on the forums here or contact me directly by email or PM.

NS2 is very much like DOTA. It's difficult to balance games properly (except by playing ranked games, two premade groups against each other), and it's very easy to troll with lasting consequences, so we'll be watching more closely. And I'll consider adding more public tools when admins are not present.

Thanks again for your report/feedback!
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Charabis

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:04:40 PM »
Here's another troll to add to your collection:

*OCB* Modzog

Keeps jumping in the chair and doing nothing until a vote to kick him is started, then drops a bunch of useless stuff such as 4 armories in a known alien area.  He's an equal opportunity troll as he does much the same on alien side, just different structures.

.Bomb

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »
Hey guys,

Play on Hyperion quite a bit I should have signed up sooner, but you know.... Lazy me.

I concur, I just got asked "do you mind if I comm". Being polite I said "sure". Hopped out only to see my name still in the comm chair, then all the IP's get recycled by the troll. They change name back to whatever alias they are using and screamed at everyone that I sold the IP's which of course resulted in a kick. There are two particular players who do this (American/Canadian accents...I can't tell the difference being a foreigner) on a regular basis. I know them by voice only.

I see you have mentioned the command 'sh_status' I use 'sv_status'. Not sure if both work or it's a typo. Just to note folks, the logfile for your last game is saved to: %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2\ to access it you need to close NS2 down otherwise it's in use by the game. Please note as soon as start the game up again the log file is wiped.

I will be keeping an eye on this and report anyone I can.

Finally, thanks for the fine server, I get a 240ms ping to it from Aus but is one of my preferred places to play.

.Bomb