*AuthorTopic: Affiliating my own server with Hyperion  (Read 5115 times)

Fila!

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Affiliating my own server with Hyperion
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:01:04 PM »
Hey,

So I was thinking this the last few days. I really want to see a mixed server minus koth being used and was wondering. What if I start my own server and affiliate it (and use the name) of hyperiongaming. Would that be something you guys would be OK with?

Again, I'm really tired of playing payload only and I really want to give it a shot to try and get a mixed server started without koth.
I'd be OK with supporting the server costs and was thinking of joining it with the hyperion community to try and get some population on it.

I would base the server on the west coast, either LA or San Jose.

Fila!

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Affiliating my own server with Hyperion
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »
And to go in a little more detail. By affiliating it with Hyperion it would mean of course giving mod power to the same mods, reserve slots, game tracking etc. Basically it would be a hyperion server, except that I'm picking up the tab for it as long as it's a mixed sever.

Enforcer{EMC}

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Game Server Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »
hi fila
sounds like a plan i have forwarded the link on to plasma lets see what everyone says
Enforcer

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
Sounds good to me but we'll have to see what Plasma thinks.

I still don't get why CP is such a failure. When it was a second PL server it was at least full some of the time. I'd love to play it more, but I got sick and tired of populating it, just to leave, and have it dead within the hour. So I put all my attention into PL. When I really do love CP.  :(

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:28:28 PM »
I feel like cp has too much going on and people don't like to try very hard like you have to for 5 cp maps. payload is so simple its just 32 people fighting over one little cart and maps are always small and simple. a mixed server would be nice, i just feel like a full server of people on badwater might go empty if a map like process comes up because then there is a lot less action. I personally love 5 cp or attack/defend so I am all for it. its just the rest of the community id be worried about.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:24:55 PM by DrunkUncle »
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:51:21 PM »
Hey Fila,

It's a really good idea, and we can talk more about it privately (via PMs/emails). Feel free to start your own server, and experiment with different configs/settings, maybe you'll have more luck than me :)
However, for now, please make sure to specify that your servers are not official HyperionGaming servers. I like the affiliating idea, but I would need to think it about it a bit more (lots of important details), and I don't want our regulars, donors and VMs to be confused and think they should have the same exact access to your servers and vice versa.

So basically, for now, you can go ahead and make an "unofficial" server (and run it the way you want), and we can talk about more integration later, if you still want to do that. Again, it's better to talk about all the details privately if you have more questions, etc...
--
Regarding CP maps... I like CP maps a lot too. I prefer PL, but CP always feel a lot more dynamic than the usual Attack/Defense scenarios. We've tried a lot of different configs for the 2nd server, and while some were a bit more successful than others, nothing worked for long. I think it's just getting harder and harder to start new servers, and even with a somewhat successful smallish community, we can't seem to fill another server. The best config for the 2nd server we ever did was basically a copy of the Payload server, just with all talk on.

There's another thread talking about another option for the 2nd server, and I'll give it a try later this week. (Dustbowl/goldrush) In the end though, starting a new server will require a lot of people to seed and stay there even when it's empty or boring. It won't fill up instantly as it used to, when Quickplay was first introduced. Now, Valve servers always have priority for Quickplay and there are just too many community servers.

But this is getting off-topic.
--
Fila, awesome idea, I'd be very curious to see what you can do :)
Good luck!

PS: Again, send me a PM if you want to talk about this in more details.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Fila!

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 11:06:02 PM »
OK. Server is set-up. 32 people, full rotation (minus KOTH maps) and includes the custom PL maps.
Still waiting on your reply plasma.

Fila!

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
Since this issue popped up again (the issue of the mixed server http://hyperiongaming.org/index.php?topic=759.0) I decided to make another post here, just in case.

When I offered this suggestion I stressed that I'm not interested in having a server in order for me to "have my own server", I really and truly wanted a mixed server "affiliated" with hyperion because many of the regulars want to give a mixed server another try.

I should have added, and I realize now, my offer of supporting the costs of a hyperion server with such a mixed mode and I would pay for that server as long as it stays active. I would have nothing to do with admin rights or anything to this regard. I just want to play on a damn 32 player server with minimal lag. The best I got so far is a server on the east coast and as a sniper the lag is too much.

Yes, I really am that interested in trying to make this work. Thankfully I can support the costs of a server and I would love to do it if it means we one.