*AuthorTopic: Does anyone actually enjoy Goldrush?  (Read 6311 times)

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Does anyone actually enjoy Goldrush?
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
I feel like the only reason the server ever plays Goldrush is because it ends up first on the vote list and people just tap F1 to get it off their screens. Whenever it comes up on the vote list I always hear people grumbling on the mic saying they don't wanna go to Goldrush and I agree with them it sucks. Just curious to see. It would be nice if it didn't show up on the voting thing so often also because I've seen times where it comes up like 4-5 times in a row on the vote list until it gets picked. 
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

DrQuantum

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • aka FishFrog
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone actually enjoy Goldrush?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:12:53 PM »
I always called this the F1 effect lol.

Of the most commonly played maps, Gold Rush is my favorite. I'd much rather play it than Upward or Badwater. To me, gold rush is a good map but simply overplayed

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »
yea me too. I just want that notification to leave my screen and just fist smash the F- area when it comes up :P Maybe program it to only come up during the start-up time? And yes, goldrush doesnt go away until it is picked that i have noticed

JackCnKing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:13:13 PM »
Yes DrunkUncle, I love Goldrush :) I am always the one who voted Goldrush  ;)

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »
Hell no! I'm tired of most of the stock maps, but GR is tops on the list. We actually managed to get the CP server full the other day (After the update.) and how refreshing it was not playing PL maps!

We need new custom maps on the PL server. Well, I need new maps, before I go nuts.

JackCnKing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
Custom maps clears out the server...which is why I always pick offcial maps, so the random players are willing to play..

Eraserpie

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »
Yeah I hate goldrush too. However...

If we were to compare this server to (-TN-)'s 32 person payload server we would notice that they have a ridiculously higher amount of payload maps http://topnotchclan.com/server/maps/ (yes I know not every map there is payload map please don't go crazy on me for that). I personally think that we should cycle 1-2 new maps in every week/2 weeks and leave a feedback thread somewhere on the forums that people could give feedback on the maps for. We can then keep the maps that people approve of in and dump the maps that get rtv'd as soon as possible (deadwood, metropolis, etc.).
hi its hairflip

Yolo Swaggins

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 02:39:10 PM »
Hoodoo is the worst map to me, would take goldrush over it any day. I agree that new maps should be given a shot, just not all at once. Maybe try a new one every month or so and take votes on it.

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
I agree with eraser more custom maps would be great, top notch always manage to have a full server on maps ive never even heard of.And I agree, Hoodoo is also one of the worst maps on the server. I dont think these maps will ever be taken completely off the server, but if they showed up a lot less on the vote list that would be great.
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."

JackCnKing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
I think Hyperion Payload is perfect now. No need for any more new maps.

We are No.3 server right now!

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 09:44:05 PM »
Ssh, don't jinx us! :)

(We were 1st once for just a day or so I think!)
--
It's a difficult balance between official maps and custom ones. I think we have a good mix right now, but we can do better for sure. To answer the question, I actually like Goldrush and Badwater, but that's because I only play Sniper haha! And because I don't play as much as you guys, so I understand your frustration.

A monthly rotation could be fun, yes. For example, replace two custom maps every month or something like that. I don't play TF2 outside our servers, so you guys will need to propose custom maps to try.

I've been a bit distant lately, I'm sorry, for multiple reasons, but a big one is Valve themselves. I'm disappointed because they don't "communicate" with us server ops anymore. They ignore our concerns because some communities were abusing the player base for their own benefit. It's a rant, so I'll stop, but let's just say that I have a feeling Valve doesn't look at TF2 the same way they used to. Of course, the Mann-conomy was the beginning, but it's gotten a lot worse ever since Quickplay and Pinion surfaced.
--

Back to the main topic:
Chainspell had started a thread for custom map suggestions, feel free to post yours there. However, please make sure the map is somewhat stable (meaning you played that version on another server before).
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 12:27:55 AM »
I feel like there are a pretty good amount of custom maps on the server, I just feel that the map vote should be tweaked a little bit so that maps like hoodoo,barnblitz, goldrush, and the other stock maps show up less often on the vote list. Some of the custom maps I forget are even on the server because they show up so rarely on the vote list. Maybe it's just me but playing the same map twice in a three hour period gets a little redundant on a server that has more than 10 maps to choose from. I understand these stock maps keep the population up but I feel these changes might have a positive effect.

elcarO

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
I dont mind Goldrush that much, but it isn't my favorite for sure.

Looking at this graph of the maps played over the past week, Goldrush doesn't seem to be overplayed.  You are probably just way burned out on it.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 01:28:35 AM »
Right, we've been pushing for more maps, and from the graph above, I think we've achieved that a little.
It's true that badwater/goldrush are still at 40%, but the custom maps are now 30%.

I'll take a look at the maps you've recommended DrunkUncle (in the custom maps thread), and we can try to add one or two new ones for a while. I still want to keep the official popular maps though; custom maps are very risky now that Valve has decided to keep all Quickplay traffic for themselves. Custom maps are fine when regulars/donors are playing... when we have to rely on "normal" traffic, we need badwater/goldrush.

You can see how it works with the CP server. We can manage to keep players for a map or two (if we start on dustbowl), but players leave very quickly as less popular maps show up. Back when Quickplay was "fair", we would still get some traffic sent our way... now only Valve receives QP traffic. It's just very very difficult to start a new community or a new server nowadays. It's too bad, it seems Valve only wants big communities or their own official servers. (Gaah, rant mode over sorry)
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

cowking

• Moo
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Moo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 09:30:10 PM »
I agree with sober uncle.  We need to play more custom maps.