*AuthorTopic: ADDED: New Perma mute/gag functions.  (Read 4116 times)

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
ADDED: New Perma mute/gag functions.
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
In response to a growing number of complaints regarding a few of our players. We have added the perma mute & gag functions--previously all you had to do was rejoin and the mute/gag would reset. This is a good solution to players who constantly make the gaming experience a bad one for other players.

Our admin style is usually to leave players alone. We are one of the most lenient and mature servers in Team Fortress, and we would like to keep it that way. So to those who are tired of annoying and/or verbally abusive players, this is our solution. We will start with a 3 or 7 day mute and/or gag. If said player persists after that, a longer mute/gag will be applied.

------------------
This was brought on from results of a poll that I conducted for 2 weeks talking to players. Of course the most pervasive issue is Jambster. Most of the players interviewed did not agree on a perma-ban, but most agreed that a mute or temp mute is in order. Here are the results:

The question: Would you prefer if Jambster stopped playing on our server?
answers: Yes, No, Abstain
results: (attached file)
------------------

Cheers! and a BIG Thank You to all the players who help to keep our servers a fun and happy place to play in!!!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:44:09 PM by Chainspell »

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: ADDED: Perma mute/gag functions.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »
Yea, banning the guy wouldn't be much fair. He was just dominating the voice-space with micromanaging BS-considering most of it was only for his medic. No other team mates could use the voice-space for emergencies like "watch out! a spy!"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:28:27 PM by chuy409 »

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: ADDED: New Perma mute/gag functions.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:14:31 AM »
I feel like he gets more hate because he does so well. And most of the time his complaints aren't out of nowhere either (almost dead-burning medic running away from his sandwich). I'd rather ban people like TheSwedishChef who complain the whole time they're on the server, everytime. Or people who use profanities every chance they get.

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:23:24 AM »
I feel like he gets more hate because he does so well. And most of the time his complaints aren't out of nowhere either (almost dead-burning medic running away from his sandwich). I'd rather ban people like TheSwedishChef who complain the whole time they're on the server, everytime. Or people who use profanities every chance they get.

Swedish Chef and Cory Gunz CAN get carried away sometimes but with them, they use chat. You can easily ignore chat. While with Jambster, he uses voice, and even with putting him on mute, its getse quick frustrating every-single-time  you join the server with him on. I have even seen people team switch because Jambster was that annoying.

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
I really don't find Jambster that bad most of the time. Sure, he talks a lot, but it's mostly about the game. (Where stuff is, what we could use class wise, etc.)

Sure, from time to time he gets a bit bitchy and disrespectful. Frankly, so do I, from the same annoyances. I'm just not quite as vocal about it. Though I do bitch, it's just not to the same degree.

I complain when we have 6+ "spy-pers" and we are getting rolled. So does he. Or we have no engies on defense. I understand his frustration. Why do people play team based games, just to not really try? "It's a pub"......that statement drives me bat shit crazy! So? It's still a team based game....!!! It's Team Fortress 2, not Solo Fortress 2!

I like playing with Jambster because he tries, even if he's a bit heavy on the mic.

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:03:15 PM »
He MAY complain about proper inordinance of the team. But also non-necessary like judging you on what medi-gun you use. Loadout is the LEAST thing a person should be demanding to change.

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 09:17:52 PM »
You can have the option of muting people. You can't say muting him is too much trouble when it's just a few clicks. And it's not like he rejoins every 5 minutes either. You can't block chat messages either, so you HAVE to notice them complaining every time. 

Bad loadouts are pretty damn annoying. If you're red with 2 engies with Minisentriess, that's annoying. If you're on blue with 1 medic with Vaccinator, that's annoying. If there's maybe one or two people messing around and the rest of the team is actually trying, and it's a fair fight, I don't mind if they want to goof off. But when you're repeatedly getting rolled, I feel like people who mess around are ruining the game for others.

This is a team oriented game, even moreso than other FPSs out there, and if you look other games that are team oriented (League, Dota) people are punished for messing around. Furthermore, Hyperion is as serious as PUBs can get. People try here.

Vic-Dog

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 11:17:53 PM »
Before you start talking about banning people you need to look at the server rules. Is Jambster breaking a Server rule by talking about game play and strategy? He isn't calling people names, He isn't swearing. Sure, It's annoying to play when someone is acting like you've never played before and NEED his wise counsel. Part of playing this game is having interaction with other players. Sometimes it will be good and sometimes not. Super easy to mute somebody, 3 clicks I think so there is no reason for a server wide ban on somebody because people don't like them. Now this has turned into a public forum bashing 3 players by name.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 11:45:39 PM »
As several of you said, there are players that shouldn't be removed from the server, but simply need to cool down a bit on chat and/or voice chat. Chainspell explained everything in the first post.

The new system will also protect the servers from people evading mute/silence by simply re-connecting. I'll also work on making players votes (!votemute) behave the same way (default 30min) in case an admin isn't available when needed (music spammers for example.)
--
The thread drifted a bit into another specific issue. The main point was to let you guys know that we now have better tools to punish chat/voice spammers, griefers without straight bans.

Thank you guys for the feedback.
Public Group:
--
Private Group: