*AuthorTopic: Turning Dead Talk On  (Read 14094 times)

Matsuba

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • You are not kawaii â—• â—¡ â—•
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Turning Dead Talk On
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
Hello,
I completely agree with turning dead talk on. I constantly hear individuals moan about long spawn times being the concern in order to continue destroying a small enemy base. I believe dead talk would encourage them to talk to their teammates and inform them of the location, so that someone else could continue the attack. Another thing I see is how frightened individuals are of moving forward. Dead talk would allow dead players to inform their teams of certain areas being clear and give the teams the opportunity to move forward and improve chances of success, because honestly, isn't that what gaming is about, winning?

SexyShane

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »
I agree dead talk needs to be on. I have a habit of forgetting its off sometimes when i begin trying to communicate what gun we just took down or where were being flanked from. I think it will even improve the teamwork and game play with more communication.

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 09:28:53 AM »
I know this is a pub, but I think it wouldn't be fair...just my opinion though.

I think all talk at the END of rounds would be nice though so that winners can brag and etc.

SexyShane

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
Just curious what you mean by saying it wouldnt be fair? Even comp play allows this sort of thing. There should be no downside to team communication.

I assume youre referring to times like when a spy is on a stabbing spree or something? Most pub players dont pay any attention even if youre screaming about the spy anyway. The good spies still seem to get away, regardless.

I think being able to communicate about flanks and what guns are down far outweigh any of this. It will improve the overall game play and encourage more people to communicate.

SexyShane

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 12:44:21 AM »
Dead issue or what

MissMonaLisa

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 02:27:06 AM »
If the spies are really the only concern (which seems to be the case), then there is a solution to that.

When we die, we can spec our team in third person view, which allows us to see around the players and see more of whats going on. However, you can limit spectator mode to only being first-person view on your team so that you can't see anything else other than what the player is seeing.

So problem solved.

Let's just try it out and see. I know many people want it. And you will see that there is no issue with spectators and spies.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 12:56:57 AM »
Dead issue or what

It's not a dead issue, I just wanted to let more people voice their opinion on this topic. Most regulars don't check these forums every day, actually a tiny minority check these forums.

I still have some concerns, but it doesn't hurt to try for a while and see what the overall in-game feedback is, as well as the side-effects. I'll see what I can do, and try to have dead talk on at some point this week. I'll post again here when it's live.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

MissMonaLisa

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
Awesome thanks!

Like I said, if the whole calling out spies things becomes an issue, we can just fix the spectator mode to first person only, which isn't hard to do, Ben can help, and that way no one can call out spies or other things that make it harder for them to play.

Eraserpie

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 02:23:49 AM »
I don't think calling out spies would be a big deal in the first place because the only benefit that calling out a spy would have would be if the person the spy is trying to stab is isolated, like walking from spawn. This is because there are enough indicators that a spy is stabbing someone if the spy is on the front lines (death cry, kill feed, Voice commands... etc (unless they are using the spycicle/YER....but I mean the spycicle noise is very loud and YER would still be hard to keep track of even if you were watching from a bird's eye view)). That being said, when people spectate, or at least when I spectate, I try to focus more on the place where the action is taking place because why would you want to watch a person walking?

However, the proposed idea of limiting the view of death to be first person only is terrible in my opinion. Limitations in general are fairly annoying to the general public and more limitations would most likely receive negative feedback, especially for those who don't use the forum and have no clue about this "dead-talk on" change. Also, this dead-talk would only benefit, at max 10/32 players (theoretically) who actually use their mic to communicate and so I don't really think its worth it to hinder the experience of the 22/32 other players to benefit the other 10/32.

Also, just to ask again since my other question got buried at the bottom of the page on page 1, is there a mumble server for Hyperion?
hi its hairflip

Falconeer

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Friendly fire isn't...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »
I suspect there will be more call out incidents than people think but whether it's an issue remains to be seen.

My belief is the two most frequent 'abuses' of deadtalk would be:
  • Calling out the location of the spy who just killed you
  • Calling out the location of the sniper who just killed you
No need to search for players, etc.  You know where you were, what you were doing, etc. 

Will this be a problem?  I don't think anyone can make a definitive statement either way.  Perhaps the best solution is to try it for a week, remove it, and put a poll up asking players what they thought?

Someone also mentioned Mumble.  When I've played on public servers that use Mumble it's been my experience that you get a disconnect; some people are using mumble, some are using voice chat.  Again, with Hyperion's player base this may not be a problem.

Just some random thoughts.

Falc

BastidBen

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »
i think the callout position is a moot point. these are 32 slot servers, good snipers and spies move around.
we play on tn when getting into hyperion is taking too long, and they use deadtalk, and sniping and playing spy is no different than hyperion.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 11:05:11 PM »
Small update:
I'm still planning on giving DeadTalk a try, I haven't forgotten!
Hopefully before this weekend!
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

JackCnKing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
I support turning on Dead Talk.

Not many people communicate anyway so it doesn't really make a difference. There are only pros the way I see it. With dead talk on, people who actually communicate will help out the team. I won't worry about creating unfair disadvantage to the enemy team because a good player should always be cautious and be prepared for any incoming enemies. The kill-feed already provides significant information about what is going. Dead Talk will mainly be entertainment purpose. It will make the players more active during their respawning timer.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 10:03:38 PM »
Alright, you've used green font, you've convinced me! ;) j/k
--
It's something I've promised to do, at least for a week or two, see what everybody thinks. It's coming, I'll update this thread when it's live!

Also, should pre-game all talk be enabled as well? Like it's currently setup on the CP server?
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 04:39:25 AM »
Also, should pre-game all talk be enabled as well? Like it's currently setup on the CP server?

Yes please. :)