*AuthorTopic: MapChooser Advanced  (Read 2905 times)

Active members:
Dave(1) Plasma(1)

Dave

• Co-Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
  • There can only be (1)Dave
    • View Profile
MapChooser Advanced
« on: October 13, 2011, 06:56:12 AM »
I'd like to share some of the details of the upcoming version of the MapChooser as well as mention some related ideas.

What is the MapChooser?

The MapChooser is the vote that occurs near the end of a map. It displays 3 maps for the players to choose. When the voting period finishes, the map with the most votes becomes the next map on the server.

Why is the MapChooser Important?

The map cycle of the server, whether static or dynamic (via a MapChooser), sets the rhythm of the server. For example, going from badwater to goldrush or vice versa is a pretty good transition, whereas going from upward to hightower is one of the worst things that can happen to the server.

Without the MapChooser, you end up with a static rotation of maps, and you have no choice over what the next map will be. Some prefer a static rotation, and with the map chooser they may choose the same maps over and over. What's important is that players have a choice so that they can play on the maps they want to play.

The Current Limitations

The current model for the MapChooser config is "one size fits all". Although we do have ways to shape the map cycle, we have no easy way of changing those settings on-the-fly. For example, during the evening we'd like a more varied map cycle but it's not possible without loading an entirely separate configuration file or changing settings manually. We'd also like a map cycle based on the number of players.

Upcoming Changes

The upcoming changes will allow the MapChooser to automatically adjust to the current server conditions by using an A.I. technique. Essentially, the MapChooser will be able to "think". We define our preferences, and the MapChooser will choose the best setup based on those preferences. It sounds vague, but it's very powerful.

Ideas in Consideration

Nominations: Nominations are a way for players to add map options to the upcoming map vote. Players use a menu to choose a map, which is then added to the nominations list. The MapChooser picks from that list when creating a map vote. It's a plugin that we'll consider adding if there's any interest in it.

Player Preferences: The idea is a control panel on the website that is potentially accessible from in-game, where a player can set his preferences for maps. For example, a player could select or rate his favorite maps. This will then be used by the MapChooser when creating a map vote.

Likemap and Hatemap: The idea is two in-game commands which a player can use to quickly give his opinion of the current map or the current match. Stats would be collected and could be displayed in-game and on the website, as well as being used as an input for the MapChooser.
-Dave
Co-Admin

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
Re: MapChooser Advanced
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:22 AM »
by using an A.I. technique. Essentially, the MapChooser will be able to "think".

If you call this AI GladOS, I'm shutting down this project. And I'm calling you Dave Johnson. For Science. And Spaaaaaaaace. :D

"Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired." -- Portal 2, Cave Johnson
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:21:08 AM by Plasma »
Public Group:
--
Private Group: