*AuthorTopic: too many spies  (Read 8325 times)

dopefisher

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
too many spies
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »
hi i know this may make me VERY unpopular, but could you please limit the amount of spies to 2 or less on all hyperion servers? lol thx

Cirno

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: too many spies
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »
It's already limited to 3. I don't think lowering the limit by 1 will have much of an effect.

Ac-town

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:44:16 AM »
It's already limited to 3. I don't think lowering the limit by 1 will have much of an effect.
I agree with this. If your team is having problems with spy, then have someone go spy-checking pyro and ask everyone else to be on the look out.

lvl_halo

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
I agree with this. If your team is having problems with spy, then have someone go spy-checking pyro and ask everyone else to be on the look out.
i agree with this too its not hard to stop a spy all you need is a crazy pyro :D

dopefisher

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
kk you spy lovers, but i get it :D

americangug

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »

Or, you could be like Shibby's server and limit it to only one spy. That way, people must play a more useful class, and have the pros (kind of) play the spy class

Cirno

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »
Or, you could be like Shibby's server and limit it to only one spy. That way, people must play a more useful class, and have the pros (kind of) play the spy class
The problem with that, though, is if one person hogs the spy slot all the time. Especially if they aren't very good. (likely :D) You could limit the amount of time each person gets, but I think a straight-up limit of 3 spies works best. It's just enough to let people play spy if they want to, but not so much that your entire team is spies.

3 is the perfect balance between not being able to play the class you want (not fun) and getting trounced every 60 seconds because your teammates think they're -ts- stabby stabby. (also not fun)

lvl_halo

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »
The problem with that, though, is if one person hogs the spy slot all the time. Especially if they aren't very good. (likely :D) You could limit the amount of time each person gets, but I think a straight-up limit of 3 spies works best. It's just enough to let people play spy if they want to, but not so much that your entire team is spies.

3 is the perfect balance between not being able to play the class you want (not fun) and getting trounced every 60 seconds because your teammates think they're -ts- stabby stabby. (also not fun)
100% agree with that :)

torankusu

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
What are the other class restrictions? This was taken less than a month ago on upward (see attached screenshot). That's an eight, not a six.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:27:56 AM »
There's only a restriction on spies.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

lvl_halo

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 06:24:22 AM »
I think their should be a limite on engi's on defense because ive seen 5+ engis on upward and it was impossible to get that last point i think 2 or 3 would be fair :)

Cirno

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »
The last point on pl_upward often turns into a turret spamfest, but if BLU can't deal with multiple engineers by using spies, ubers, & stickies/direct hits, then they don't really deserve to win anyway.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »
We talked about class restrictions a lot in the past when first creating the servers. We had some pretty complicated plans to adjust the number of allowed snipers on the fly for example. I won't go over the details, but what we realized is that it's not fun to prevent people to choose their class. In the end, if a team wants to win, they will have to strategically decide to regulate their class composition. Obviously, players with more experience will switch class accordingly, while new players might not understand the need to.
A team that decides they need 6 engineers to defend the final point is perfectly understandable and logical. The attacking team then needs to react accordingly. It's also obvious that a good class balance is a lot more powerful than stacking one class (having a lot of engineers will mean less pyro to spy check).

The only reason we put a cap on Spies is because we feel it's the most powerful class in TF2 when played well. They are able to slow down reinforcements, pick enemy snipers (or at least seriously distract them), destroy sentry nests, etc... It's also the class new players have the most trouble understanding ("I shot him he was dead, he must be hacking").

Public Group:
--
Private Group: