*AuthorTopic: Can we get a class limit?  (Read 4875 times)

gimpinmypants

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Can we get a class limit?
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:40 AM »
I enjoy Hyperion severs. It's nearly all I play, in fact. But there's one glaring truth about it: there's nearly always too many Demos. There's usually 4, 5, sometimes even more Demos on a team. It's nothing but sticky bombs and grenades. Add a good medic or two and a team is unstoppable. It's made some matches very cumbersome and downright annoying, and, worst of all, not fun.

Eraserpie

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Can we get a class limit?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »
I play on Hyperion a lot as it is the only server I play on unless I'm on a valve server waiting to get in or playing with other people (I'm "hairflip" to clear any confusion) and I have to say, there is NOT usually 4-5 demos a team. From my experience, the "good" demos usually like to team stack against each other and there is usually very good class balance on this server because this server seems like a pretty "tryhard" server if you ask me. Pretty much, I think you are getting killed by demos too much because a large majority of the "good" players on this server main demo and are killing you constantly. That being said, demo imbalence is also only useful on spammy maps and when  a map is considered "spammy", its at the fault of the map and not the class balence.

On a side note, pls sniper player cap at 3 ;o

also engie cap makes barnblitz winnable ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:42:37 PM by Eraserpie »
hi its hairflip

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »
On a side note, pls sniper player cap at 3 ;o

Agreed, just like spy. (Though 2 and 2 would be better.) I was on a team the other day with 4 snipers, we were going nowhere fast. I get frustrated when this happens, and rather than piss and moan like normal, lately, I just say "4, 5 what's the difference?" (Heavy on the sarcasm.) then switch to sniper myself. Soon after, we had 7.....uuhg. (I see it as nothing less than griefing, but there it is.) It did finally settle on 2. But it was too late by then, game was over.

also engie cap makes barnblitz winnable ;)

I'm hoping Plasma can get Pro to work with the map-chooser plugin Hyperion uses. It really does make a huge difference with the openings added to Pro. It's not so easy to SG nest on last cap, like on the crates under the locker room. Snipers/spies can snipe you, sollies/demos can openly spam, just a much better design.

Though there are rare occasions, too much support classes make the goal unattainable when up against a well matched (player wise) team.

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:10:04 PM »
Ok, this is seriously getting out of control. We had 7 snipers on a team of 14....

I just don't know how much more of this crap I can take. I've wanted to kick people, but don't/wont. I noticed quite a few people left during this BS, as the other team apparently had 6....

Yup, not a lot of fun. There really is no need for more than 2/2 spy/sniper. I know you want people to play what they want, but at the expense of those who actually care to play the game as intended? Might I even add, to possibly win? I play with people online to to have a good time, apply a little team work and accomplish the goal. Not get pissed off to no end because some people like to be d-bags.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG.  >:(

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:52:15 AM »
I think limiting classes is a bit arbitrary. It will probably wont work any further than how it is now. 5 spies might be terrible but if you look at the theoretical big picture, more spies=less enemy engies thus increasing enemy pyros thus putting the enemy pretty weak offensively. And the spies dont need to be good. Just harrassing and getting a backstab or two is enough. Constant spy harrassment will definately put the enemy in a sort-of paranoid state of mind. This always happens in hyperion and with just 3 spies! Limiting classes is a no-go by the simple fact that classes doesnt determine a player's contribution to the match. Heck,I am probably more than 50% of the time useless just trolling and doing other stuff and it doesnt include demo, spy or sniper.

JackCnKing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
it's k, no one plays demo now. all soldiers LOL

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:01:40 PM »
It's a frequent topic. Right now, we're only limiting spies because we feel it's a class that can truly destroy balance (and the other team's morale). A team with 7 snipers will lose. It really sucks for the other players on that team, but at least the round should be really short.

32 slot public servers are just not made for tactics and teamplay... yet, I see plenty of great offensive/defensive strategies and team composition on our Payload server. I'm guessing it's because we have a lot of regulars that push other random players. Sometimes, there are 5 engies on attack or 7 snipers on defense, and it sucks. Sometimes players are smart enough to play together and sometimes they just go solo like in CSGO.

I also think it's possible to convince at least 3 snipers out of the 7 to switch to another class (except maybe switching to Medic ;) ). Obviously, they should do it themselves, and sometimes they'll ignore/dismiss it... but even I switch to another class when someone asks in chat, haha!

I know there are several threads on this topic already (old) where I think I've explained the reasons in more details.

I'm always open to discussion on this issue, but I have to say I'm for letting players choose their own class (except Spies!) on a 32-slot public server.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »
This one glorious time, we had 5-6 snipers stacked on Red in Goldrush. And we won. Wolfpup was there too.

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 11:50:34 AM »
Yeah, it happens, but it's rare, and I have to wonder just how bad the players on the other team were....to allow it to happen... :o

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 01:29:01 AM »
Haha, see? It does happen!
Glorious! :)
Public Group:
--