*AuthorTopic: SCREAM FORTRESS 2  (Read 7668 times)

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
SCREAM FORTRESS 2
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »
Hey guys I'm too lazy to find the old thread, but can we do what we did for last years Halloween event where one serve was Halloween while the other isn't???  I'm sure there are others like me that like to partake into the annual Halloween maps (on rotation too of course).  Let us know what Hyperion's plans are!!!!!!!

[SLUG] God Loves Ugly :D

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: SCREAM FORTRESS 2
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »
Agreed! Last year I spent hours playing on the Hyperion servers during Halloween and I had a blast.

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »
yeah we're getting ready for it. Waiting on Valve to announce it. If it's the same as last year, it will most likely be held on server 2. Probably a few rounds on server 1 for the first couple of days.

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
yeah we're getting ready for it. Waiting on Valve to announce it. If it's the same as last year, it will most likely be held on server 2. Probably a few rounds on server 1 for the first couple of days.

How was it last year? I became a regular to HG until Spring of this year so I didn't see it. Is it maps or stuff like that?

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
you had to kill this boss hehe. funny thing is the other team could kill you while you're trying to kill this guy haha.

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 02:55:30 PM »
I thought last year's boss was Merasmus, and Monoculus was from the year before.

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »
So its map-wise or do they add this monster to current maps? Haha sorry I would never play TF2 during the Holloween month since i started playing tf2 in 2011 :P I do, however, see that monster in trade servers with that eyelander skin.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
So far, it's only on specific maps, koth types, the ones ending with _event.

Last year was indeed Merasmus. Both teams had to work together to kill the boss, and if they were successful (time limit), a portal was then opened to an island. If you could reach the center without dying (or getting killed by the other team), you could get special Halloween hats/items. It's very fun for the first few days, then it kinda gets dull. There are also Halloween achievements.

We don't know yet what Valve has in store this year. I'm guessing it's going to be very similar. Maybe they'll have a MvM Halloween event too.
--
Usually, we make the 2nd server (Payload #2/Votation) Halloween event 24/7 at least at the beginning of the event. When people are getting bored towards the end, we'll probably switch back to the regular mapcycle. As for Payload #1, it remains on the regular mapcycle, except we add the Halloween event maps in the mix every hour or so. As usual, players need to vote for the map to play on it. And like for Payload #2, when people get bored of the event, we'll remove the maps from the rotation.

Basically, we don't want to modify Payload #1 too much because I know a lot of people who'd rather play a round or two of the Halloween maps but then go back to regular old pushing of carts.
If you want to play the Halloween event maps, you can jump on Payload #2 (will be renamed to Halloween Event 24/7). If you prefer to keep playing regular Payload mode, stay on Payload #1. You'll still be able to play the Halloween event maps every hour if enough players vote for it though.

That's the plan for now, but things are likely to change when Valve reveals more about this year's Halloween event.
--
In the past, the big issue with the event was players not working with each other to kill the bosses.
It's fine to play the game when the boss is gone obviously. However, when the boss respawns, a lot of people got angry if other players kept killing each other instead of focusing on Merasmus/Monoculus/etc... A solution would be to prevent players from killing each other when the boss spawns, but I've heard arguments both for and against.

I haven't decided yet, but we could potentially prevent players from killing each other when boss spawns on Payload #2, but not on PL #1 for more challenge/fun/etc... That way if someone really wants to kill the bosses for loot or achievements, they can go to PL #2.

Let us know what you guys think. Either way, the Halloween event is always fun for the first couple days. ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:03:35 PM by Plasma »
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

ddavidn

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 10:58:48 AM »
I think it would be nice to prevent us from killing each other while the boss spawns, at least for a little while. It's always a major point of contention on the server. I like to get the achievements in without one bozo running around torching everyone.

[SLUG] God Loves Ugly :D

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »
you had to kill this boss hehe. funny thing is the other team could kill you while you're trying to kill this guy haha.

Lol it was so hilarious last year. Everyone would be shouting "stop killing each other!", but there was always someone who would pretend to agree and then start mowing everyone down. I got lucky and was able to actually play a few rounds where everyone on the server cooperated and was able to kill the boss.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
Yea, it's a fun event with some nice new items :)
We'll definitely try to figure out the best way to play the event maps.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »
"I got lucky and was able to actually play a few rounds where everyone on the server cooperated and was able to kill the boss."

Teamwork, in TF2? That's impossible! ::) :P

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »
Yea, it's a fun event with some nice new items :)
We'll definitely try to figure out the best way to play the event maps.

Still no news on the event? Man Valve is lagging it this time. Every other holloween event was released on the 26th or 27th except the first one which was the 29th. Hope they extend the even length.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 06:16:43 PM »
Still nothing from Valve.
I believe the Halloween Steam sales start tomorrow... so it's very likely TF2's event will too.

I hope Valve will be smart and let us server ops know at what time the patch will be coming. It would be nice to test it before opening it the public as big patches are always buggy/incompatible with Sourcemod.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »
Scream Fortress 2013 is LIVE!

I just got the update and that was the news/blog title. Soul Brothers!!!

Ahoy, buoys and gulls, it’s almost Docktober 31st, and that means it’s time for the Fifth Annual Team Fortress Tort-urous Halloween Special, which this year is based entirely around the terrifyingly complex legal questions that haunt maritime law. AWOOOOOOOO! [Sound of receiving a jury summons]

And that horrifying description of an obviously terrible idea for a Halloween update — an idea so dreadful that we gave up on it almost fourteen hours ago — was just the FIRST of this year’s many spine-chilling, spine-tingling, all-around spinal cord-injuring shocks. We have one word of advice to those of you who survived our previous four Halloween Specials: Stop lying. These updates will kill you — GUARANTEED! [sound of our lawyers reading that sentence]

This year's Scream Fortress map is Helltower, a Payload Race variation, with at least one major difference: You're all powerful magicians. Everybody gets a spellbook gifted to them automatically, which you can equip in your Action Slot in order to pick up and cast spells. The team that wins the race will be granted a buff for the final climactic battle, where you will fight for the ultimate Halloween reward: Your own lives. And a reward.

So, fear fans, it’s time to put aside your precious laws of the sea, because this year anything can happen. Ghosts? Yes! Forbidden magic? Yes! Skeletons? Oh, yes. A Hellmouth? Obviously. A corpse? Yours. Really? Check your pulse. The murderer? You. Anyway, we’d love to sit here and shock you to death all day, but the update’s live.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:52:13 PM by Wolfpup »