*AuthorTopic: Why Even Have a Vote?  (Read 4501 times)

tN|CrackerJacks

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Why Even Have a Vote?
« on: November 19, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
I know I'm new to the Forums but I don't understand why you even have a voting system.  Now I understand why some maps carry a higher weight system to keep certain maps from being played over and over again but to just completely override the voting system! Some Admins just change the map to something that isn't up for a vote at will when ever they want at will.  Now I know some people don't like GoldRush or Badwater but if it wins the vote and is set as the nextmap the Admins just change it to whatever they want because they don't want to play one of those maps.  Personally I like those maps and obviously other people on the server want to play one of those maps too if it wins the vote! end of rant!

1 small request can you put the original Barnblitz back on the vote?

Thanks for your time tN|CrackerJacks

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Why Even Have a Vote?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:45:59 PM »
The original BB is still on the server and does come up in map votes.

The reason we change them is the newest maps added are not coming up in the rotation hardly at all. It needs to be fixed.

A lot of the regulars are just tired of the same maps over and over. I use Badwater and as much as it pains me, Goldrush when I am trying to get the server going. They are good server starters. After that, I personally would be happy not to play them at all again that day! More GR than BW. I still enjoy BW from time to time but not 2-5 times a day, day after day.

I really hate that changing the maps like that can send people packing, but I know most of the regulars appreciate it. We either hear them over voice asking for a newer map or see it in chat before changing it. It rarely takes more than 10 minutes to fill the slots again.

Sorry. I know it can be annoying but we are trying to keep everyone happy, regs and new folks, but you know that's impossible.

I'll chat with Plasma and see if we can get this sorted.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:57:15 PM by Wolfpup »

tN|CrackerJacks

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »
It just seems to me that everytime Goldrush or Badwater happen to win a vote and it's very rare now a days in the middle of map change the new map is loading and before I can even reconnect back to the server the map has been changed... and the only reason I asked about stock BarnBlitz it because I have only seen it up for a vote once since Pro was added!

Enforcer{EMC}

• Game Server Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 05:24:29 PM »
hi
yea its not that easy i have constant requests and people complaining about bad water and gold rush from regulars.  I only change the map when 6 or 7 peopel call for it and we have palyed the same maps for hours and non of the new ones are showing up.  I would be happy calling for a vote on certain maps but i dont have that power atm nominate would be another good option.  And really the voting system does need some adjustments as gold rush and badwater come up far far to often so often that i field complaints about the new maps not coming up on sometimes and hourly basis
Enf

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 09:24:51 PM »
I have never seen the map changed by the admin unless multiple people request it like Enforcer said, and the server population never takes a hit when it's peak hours and the map is changed from Goldrush to alpen or repository etc. And usually the only reason badwater or goldrush ever win during peak hours is when it is the first choice and when the other maps on the vote are either upward, hoodoo, thundermountain, or barnblitz, (rarely is there a custom map on these votes and if there is, it's always the last choice of course). Why these votes even happen with 32 people in the server I dont know but when Goldrush/Badwater is the winning map and the server was just on it a couple hours ago, Some variety is great.
Also I don't understand why the stock Barnblitz would even be on the map vote anymore, Pro version is so much more balanced.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:12:37 AM by DrunkUncle »
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
Also I don't understand why the stock Barnblitz would even be on the map vote anymore, Pro version is so much more balanced.

It's the map chooser. We had to leave BB on even though we added BBPro due to the way the map chooser works. I can't explain it any better than that as I don't really get the underlying mechanic as to why. (The map chooser was programmed by one of our own to work better with how the server is run/other plugins.)

tN|CrackerJacks

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »
So from what I'm reading 6-7 players count more than the other 13+ that voted for the map. If you check the server maps stats Goldrush or Badwater come up to play about every 4+ hours.  All you have to do is complain that the vote didn't go your way and bam a map is skipped.   We played Frontier and BBPro a lot last night and those maps are never skipped... or maybe even change it when BeerBowl comes up it seems to be a server killer?...I guess I just don't get it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:42:10 PM by tN|CrackerJacks »

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »
Goldrush and Badwater are both over 6 years old, call me crazy but playing the same maps consistently for 6 years has gotten old. About 75 percent of the time the map vote has either Goldrush or Badwater as the first choice, and it keeps putting it as the first choice over and over until it gets picked. Goldrush shouldnt even be on 32 person servers, its designed for 24 players, It just gets way too congested and stalematey. Same goes for original barnblitz.
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."

tN|CrackerJacks

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
So if it's on every vote and it hardly ever wins why not play it when it does win?  Is it because a few choice players don't want to play it?  It all boils down to the thread subject why even have a vote?!?!?  If you don't want to play that particular map when it wins the vote leave and come back after the map change.  How hard is that?  Like I said earlier if people voted to play it then they obviously want to play it!  My whole point is others want to play them and it's just screwing them over.  It's not about what 6-7 people want it's about what the server voted for.

Why not take the other server that has been dead for almost a year and make it a Custom Payload Server?  Just an idea?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:21:12 PM by tN|CrackerJacks »

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:48:24 PM »
In my honest opinion, when 90 percent of the people in the server are regulars and goldrush/badwater come up on the vote its always the first choice, and many people just spam F1 to get that off of their screen cause they're trying to play the game, I myself am guilty of this time to time. If it's just me who thinks this then ill keep quiet but I'm sure atleast a third of the server does this at any given time.
There are so many 24/7 goldrush/badwater servers out there that I think it would be more appropriate to say that those who really wanna play those maps can find 1 out of multiple servers that only play these maps instead of playing a new, fun map when Hyperion goes to one. Meanwhile, try finding a custom payload server on the west coast that aren't TN or Hyperion, 0.
There are never more people complaining that we don't get to play goldrush again over the amount of people who want to play a new custom map that is very rarely played.
I agree with your idea though, I would love if they threw the second server on either 24/7 goldrush/badwater or 24/7 custom Payload. 

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 11:18:16 AM »
It's not about what 6-7 people want it's about what the server voted for.

Because there where no better options? People can only vote for what shows up. If the new maps are not showing up in vote......how are we to play them?

It's not like GR wins the vote, so we switch it to BW. We only switch to maps that the voting system is having issues with.

Please understand until the vote system is working better, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We don't want to piss anyone off, but we want to try and keep the regulars, bored with the same ol same ol happy too. (Myself included.)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:51:56 AM by Wolfpup »

tN|CrackerJacks

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »
I'm not sayin I wanna play GR and BW 24/7 I just don't agree with the fact that when they do happen to win that it gets changed.  Why not change it when we have played Frontier or Branblitz Pro... those 2 maps are probably played more than any other.  I noticed you guys added more maps to the voting system and that's fine with me all I ask is let the vote speak for itself.

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »
Thanks to Dave the voting system is now fixed. :)

So thanks Dave.

The first map vote I was part of after it was fixed did indeed have a new map as an option. Yay!

So lets hope we can keep everyone, somewhat happy, now with less manual changes. (Can't say it wont happen ever, but it will be much rarer now I hope.)