*AuthorTopic: hyperion gaming pugs  (Read 5419 times)

vhalin

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
hyperion gaming pugs
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »
Ever wanted to give Highlander a shot? How about in our own little community? How many people here would be interested in it if I organized a 9v9 HL pug for the Hyperion community?

The only HL players I see on the server are stabby stabby, revels, sharpshot and evan but I know there has to be more out there. We'll probably just play a lot of barnblitz/upward/badwater in mumble in an organized manner. All you need to bring is your A game, your talkative organized self, a microphone and download a tiny voice program called mumble. Who's game?

drak

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: hyperion gaming pugs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:08:57 PM »
^ exactly what this community needs. No random crits, class limits, no pocket medics. And a good introduction to those who are interested in competitive style play.

Sparrow

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 1
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:12:41 PM »
I've mentioned this on a few occasions but I have no experience in the matter. I think it's a great idea! If you're able to organize something like this, that'd be awesome :)
Not all those who wander are lost.

vhalin

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »
I have a server already all set up with the competitive rule set but its in Chicago. Maybe Christian/Dave/Plasma would be kind enough to make a 18-20 player passworded server for us to use occasionally?

l0ckd0wn

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • All Around Steam Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »
Actually I would be interested in participating, but I can also offer up some hardware...

I have an i3 3220 on an ASRock EC304+ w/ 8GB DDR 800 running on a 60 GB SSD, internet pipe is 6mb/30mb up/down and the web address/IP for the server is really easy: sublimesounds.us

I've been looking for a bit of help on getting everything setup the way I want, but I'm having trouble since AlliedMods seems to have pruned all their old archives.

Let me know if I can help at all, I think this would cut down on costs since we wouldn't have to host another server.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:29:51 PM by l0ckd0wn »
(-TN-) l0ckd0wn

Sparrow

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
is 6mbit really enough for up? (not an expert, just curious)

vhalin

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:40:56 PM »
Actually I would be interested in participating, but I can also offer up some hardware...

I have an i3 3220 on an ASRock EC304+ w/ 8GB DDR 800 running on a 60 GB SSD, internet pipe is 30mb/6mb up/down and the web address/IP for the server is really easy: sublimesounds.us

I've been looking for a bit of help on getting everything setup the way I want, but I'm having trouble since AlliedMods seems to have pruned all their old archives.

Let me know if I can help at all, I think this would cut down on costs since we wouldn't have to host another server.

Don't worry about setting it up. I can give you the ftp info for my chicago competitive server and you can just copy/paste to your directory.

l0ckd0wn

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 12:51:55 AM »
is 6mbit really enough for up? (not an expert, just curious)
According to other server operators, yes.

Don't worry about setting it up. I can give you the ftp info for my chicago competitive server and you can just copy/paste to your directory.

I'll have to hook up with you sometime over the weekend and talk about it.  Thanks!
(-TN-) l0ckd0wn

Sparrow

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 11:07:22 PM »
Definitely looking forward to this! (if it happens)

l0ckd0wn

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 05:01:51 PM »
To answer your question on bandwidth more thoroughly, I'm using this site as my reference point.  Theoretically I could probably run a 24 man with far less frustration than a 32 man on a 6mb connection, however I've yet to see more than 2-4 people on my server at any given time so it's hard for me to tell.

Either way I am going to try and find some time to tweak some more this weekend, although 1/2 of saturday is already gone b/c I'm getting a tattoo colored in, so hopefully late Saturday or Sunday sometime... We'll see.
(-TN-) l0ckd0wn

Sparrow

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 06:47:17 PM »
Realistically you're looking at 18 players max (highlander), so I guess your UP should be fine with that. If it's password protected to boot then you don't even have to worry about spectators screwing things up.

In any case, I'm sure we can find people to populate the server every now and then. I haven't played ugc for more than year, but yesterday I found a match on a lobby site and remembered why the mode was so much fun :)

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 10:41:30 PM »
Sorry I haven't replied to this thread sooner.
--
This is a really good idea. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in playing more competitively than the usual more relaxed public games ;)

I could definitely setup a small private server for you guys to play on from time to time. Now I have to admit, I don't know how exactly it would need to be setup in terms of rules or plugins needed, so you'll have to give me some details.

However:
1). I'm a little bit busy lately, so I won't be able to setup a server before the 11th. I'm also going to be away from the 20th to the 30th. You guys seem to already have 2 potential servers you could use, so it's probably the best solution for now.
2). You will need to organize these community highlander games yourselves, as I don't know much about competitive TF2 and I won't have enough time to create these events/invite people, etc... Of course, we will advertise these events on our steam groups, website and in-game.

Would that be OK?
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Sparrow

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31:29 AM »
It wouldn't be fair to ask you to organize this stuff, so yeah, we can handle that end.

We just need your blessing :)

frylok

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 01:32:41 AM »
always been interested in playing highlander, never been able to due to work, etc...
Also have plenty of experience playing competitive games in CAL (SO OLDE~)

count me in