*AuthorTopic: Dat packet loss  (Read 2887 times)

BastidBen

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Dat packet loss
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:09:05 PM »
Okay, I feel like this may have been looked into, since other ppl I talk about seem to be familiar with the slight packet-loss on these servers. There's really tho no acceptable amount of it. While it's been many years since I have hosted servers, I do vaguely remember this being alleviated by playing with a couple rate settings:
net_splitrate i think i set to 2
and  net_splitpacket_maxrate to something really high, like 100k

Sorry if this has already been explored, but if it can help, id be so happy :3

But yeah, it can make for some funny and annoying glitches. Like players stuck in taunt poses hehe. Also tho can make hit reg inconsistent, stickies not registering detonation.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:14:28 PM by BastidBen »

MissMonaLisa

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Dat packet loss
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »
Since I play demo and sniper a lot, I actually notice the issues with the registration of my shots a lot. It's not all the time, it comes and goes. But sometimes I will detonate my stickies and nothing will happen even though the person is right there. Or I know someone is standing still and I headshot them and I dont even get a hit haha.

The worst issues of packet loss I think are when I am kritzing as demo and I send a sticky into about 4 people and i see them disappear but I don't hear hit noises, and I don't see anything in my kill feed. Then about 5 seconds later all 4 kills pop up in my feed at once with a huge delay. Or same goes for my deaths. If I die, I won't see what killed me or who it was until about 5 seconds later.

I've heard other people talk about this happening as well. It hasn't happened to me in other servers so maybe it is something with the packet loss as Ben said. However like I said, it doesn't happen constantly. It might happen a few times in a night.. or some nights more than others.

Ben is very good at setting up and fixing servers so if you're interested he can be a huge help :)

BastidBen

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:59:47 AM »
evidence being that lossrate seems directly proportional to the amount of action in the server

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:59:02 AM »
Hey BastidBen,

Thanks for the tips, I'll check our configs this week. I'll post them here and we can talk more about it then if you wish.
Public Group:
--
Private Group: