*AuthorTopic: Battlefield 3  (Read 3115 times)

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
Battlefield 3
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:34:16 AM »
Battlefield 3 is finally here. I'm sorry that means we're closing down all TF2 servers!  :D
Joking aside, I've been having a blast leveling up. The game is amazing, especially on high graphics. I would love to run a BF3 server, but it's too expensive and complicated.

If anybody else is playing, you can add me: Plasma918.
Of course, TF2 remains the best online FPS  ;)
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Hadden

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »
You running dual SLI to be able to run it on High?

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:25:10 AM »
Nope.
GTX580 and on Ultra. 40-60 FPS.
It slows down a little bit sometimes, but it's not noticeable. I think the real problems right now are server stability (oh that reminds me of TF2, that's good), rubber banding and lag. Especially since I only play on 64 players servers.

As for Battlelog, or Facebook for Murderers as Penny Arcade called it, I didn't like it during the beta. But I don't mind now. I wish I didn't have to be logged to a server to edit my graphical settings or my keybindings, but I don't change my settings every game so it's not a big problem. What I really don't understand is the squad system. It's a huge pain. In Battlefield Bad Company 2, you could select which squad you wanted to be in. In BF3, you just get assigned to a squad automatically until it's full. You can leave the squad, but you can't decide where to go. So for example, if I want to play with a friend, it's a mess. You have to keep trying until the system puts you and your friend in the same squad. That smells bad console shortcut.

And the last problem is obviously Origin. God, I hate this program. I have to send an invite from Origin to a friend. Ok, good, so it's like Steam. But then! I have to invite that friend again in Battlelog if we want to group up. And the steam in-game equivalent screen, you have to press SHIFT+F1, which is the most comfortable keybinding ever. I need to figure out how to change it.

There are other problems, and I see a lot of people either disappointed because they die really fast (but seriously, it's like this in every team based shooter, it's not fun to be on the losing "bot" team in TF2 either), the tanks/jets are overpowered (if you're inside, it's awesome, if you're not, you're screwed), and graphical glitches/server crashes/instability.

It does take a while to learn to play a Battlefield again. BF BC2 was really different. The maps in BF3 are huge, even with 64 players, you're lucky if you get more than 8 kills during a match. You also have to learn how to pick a good respawn point. If you pick the home base, you're gonna be miles away from the action, and you either have to go on a "marathon" in the desert or wait for a jeep to spawn. If you pick a respawn point that is being captured by the enemy, you're going to die in the next 10 sec. Sure, it's frustrating, but you just have to respawn on your teammates, or on a safe close to the action spawn point.

Ah well, in two weeks, people will move on to CoD MW3. And I'll stick with BF3. I've enjoyed playing CoD1 and 2, even had a dedicated server for CoD2. MW1, I played the SP, thought it was fun. I played some MP, unlocked a few weapons/gadgets, but I didn't like it. Maps felt too small, too arcade-y and reminded me a lot of Counterstrike (but the bad side of CS). And the killstreak system, I don't know. I like the "a tiny bit more realism" style of BF3. I will probably play the SP for MW3 though at some point. I hear BF3 SP is boring and short. Usually MW's SP are short but entertaining, and the weapon handling is usually fun. A bit too arcade-like for me, but fun to use.

Am I the only one playing BF3 in this TF2 driven country?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:30:53 AM by Plasma »
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Hadden

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 02:41:24 PM »
In this TF2 driven country I could have had 3x full time jobs instead of 1, according to the amount of time I've spent in-game in RH in the passed two weeks.  :o

(75 hrs)

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:38:02 PM »
Haha, must be a really good game  :)
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

MegaMouseGW

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • This is a stickup. Gimme all your cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »
I haven't gotten BF3 just yet but will as soon as I can get off the boat. Looking forward to playing it and hopefully they will make it so the public can have their own servers easier.

Hadden

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
Mouse what kind of connection do they let you hook into on the ship? My buddy was in the Navy and said they would only let you use the ships computer lab while on the boat, and it was locked down harder than an elementary school computer lab.

iShank

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:45:30 PM »
I agree, the game is awesome but glitchy and unstable. I think DICE didn't fully finish making it so that they could release it before mw3 came out. Still, I'm having lots of fun when my game doesn't randomly minimize :)