*AuthorTopic: More in depth into your "Inappropriate Language" rule  (Read 3596 times)

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
More in depth into your "Inappropriate Language" rule
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
http://sourcebans.hyperiongaming.org/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=STEAM_0:1:12850547&advType=steamid&Submit

So I was banned for cursing by Dave, and I would like to know why. What draws the line in your book? Coming from someone who has never spoken in chat...(http://stats.hyperiongaming.org/player_histories/chat/201) What warning was I given before being banned? How was I to know that I would possibly be crossing a line which is not in black and white? I'm curious as to why a donator and a regular (http://sourcebans.hyperiongaming.org/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=STEAM_0:1:1100430&advType=steamid&Submit) with no previous bans whatsoever got the hammer. I have never had any problem with my foul mouth. Explain why I should continue to donate and or play on your server.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:20:33 PM by nostylee »

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: More in depth into your "Inappropriate Language" rule
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:26:10 PM »
I was there when it happened. You and Couch Replacement were cursing every other word, and it was getting pretty annoying. Dave also warned you a couple times to stop. I get that sometimes that springs teams into action, but you guys took it too far. Also, the line is drawn when admins draw it. Sometimes you get some really trash admins who ban people that don't deserve it, but this is not that case. Vouching for Dave 100%. Also it was a temp ban.

Dave

• Co-Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
  • There can only be (1)Dave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »
It was my bad on the warnings. I used team chat instead of an admin chat command or other admin command. For that reason I've reduced the bans to 8 hours.

As far as our rule on language, using excessive foul language is not allowed. While our server rules include "No foul language", we usually let it slide depending on the audience. But in this case, there were multiple complaints in and out of game. See chainspell's thread here for some examples of our MOTD which includes the rules.
-Dave
Co-Admin

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 12:55:59 AM »
That's rather funny, considering I curse every other word all the time and nobody has ever warned me about my mouth. I'm not sure why all of a sudden people are throwing a hissy fit.

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:09:53 AM »
That's rather funny, considering I curse every other word all the time and nobody has ever warned me about my mouth. I'm not sure why all of a sudden people are throwing a hissy fit.
It's a hard line to draw. As admins we just make the best call we can. I wasn't on so I can't say how bad the cursing was. All I will say tho is that it's not easy to make the call. 

There's no need to revisit the enforcement of the rules. What has happened was a series of events that shouldn't be blown out of proportion.
1. Language was getting a little out of hand
2. Admin gave a friendly warning (a message that wasn't read apparently).
3. Some players didn't listen
4. Admin took action

Now Dave admits that he should've warned with admin_warn instead of just saying it in teamchat so that there was no way for the warning to be missed. Next time we'll do that. I have talked to other admins about this and we will improve on it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:13:28 AM by Chainspell »

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
It's basically all fun and games until someone gets offended by you saying "fuck"