*AuthorTopic: Why only payload?  (Read 7414 times)

n.

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Why only payload?
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:31:58 PM »
I enjoy payload as much as the next guy, and I love the community here, but... there's so many great capture point maps that I never get to play anymore.

I don't know the history behind the servers, but is there a reason it's all payload-only? Has an all-inclusive map rotation server ever been considered?

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Why only payload?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
I have no answer, but:

I was just thinking the other day that it would be nice to play CP as well. As fun as PL is, it does indeed get boring after awhile. Sure, I could go to a (non-hyperion) CP server, but I tend to find one community and play them exclusively, so, no CP for me.

I'd be in favour of including CP into the mix some way. One night events, change 24/7 Payload to a mixed map server, whatever the top dogs would consider implementing. Change is good for the soul! (And my sanity. :P)

n.

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
Yeah. Seems like server 2 would serve better as an all map server instead of more payload with alltalk. Just my opinion, though. I could always just go fuck myself and play CP on another server, but I like it here :(

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
I concur. 2 payload servers is kinda redundant, but that's just my opinion.

I never liked all-talk servers either. Defeats the point of team play. Pretty silly talking game tactics when the other team can hear you.

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »
yeah we're thinking about adding a capture point server, or switching payload server 2, to a CP server.

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »
Sweet. :)

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
Well, Payload is one of the most popular game mode in TF2, and it's also my favorite, which is why we started with Payload.

For the second server, we tried different configurations in the past (1 year ago now though), and none were successful. We're still experimenting with the second server. The goal is to make it as popular as Payload #1. Looking at its total player this week, it's not doing great.

As Chainspell said, we've been thinking about adding a CP server, we're just not sure if there is an actual demand from our regulars. However, since Payload #2 is empty most of the time, maybe we could try switching it to CP maps.

Mixing game modes on the same server, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I'd rather have one server for a specific game mode.

Another issue with CP maps, they don't work well with 32 players (most maps at least from what I remember). If we open a CP server, what kind of configuration would you like to see (slots number, map rotation, timelimit on each map, alltalk on or off, etc...)?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:17:10 PM by Plasma »
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 01:03:12 AM »
I would love to see CP on hyperion. It would make battles even crazier with the rock solid engi nests in the last pojnt :D

n.

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 08:08:58 AM »
It's true that a lot of CP maps (especially the original ones) are not 32-player friendly, but here's some that are (that I can remember off the top of my head):

process
gullywash
gorge
badlands
fastlane
granary
mountain lab
steel (god I miss steel)
foundry
freight

As for the rest of the settings, I don't see any reason to make them any different from payload 1. ~25-30 minute time limit, no alltalk. Similar voting system. For that matter, I don't see why CP and payload maps couldn't be mixed on the same server, but that's just what I'm used to. I haven't run a server in years, so maybe it presents some challenges I'm not thinking of.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:13:28 AM by n. »

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
My first map ever in TF2 was CT_Hydro. I don't think I've seen that map in years.

Thanatos

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »
I would love a rotation server, I too play here for the people and the same maps/modes get boring. I think things are a bit different now than they were a year ago and rotation would be very successful.

Dave

• Co-Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
  • There can only be (1)Dave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 06:03:28 PM »
I'd love to play some CP too.

As plasma mentioned, 32 players on CP sometimes doesn't work. We could try lowering the max players to 24-28. In my opinion 24 players feels a lot different than 32. Sure, you could try to vary the max players on a per-map basis, but it may create a sudden change in feel/tempo when you switch from 32 to 24 players and vice versa, plus it may confuse players. But perhaps a constant 28 players could be a nice compromise. Regardless, we could always try different numbers to see which works.

n., you mention a lot of good maps, and you're right that it can be a mixed server. We tried this in the past, but it wasn't very successful. Why? Probably just not enough interest/demand. But I do agree with Thanatos that things have changed since then, so maybe a CP or mixed server is not such a bad idea.
-Dave
Co-Admin

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »
I too play here for the community and playing badwater and goldrush three times a day can get boring real quickly. A mix server would be legit.
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

Falconeer

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Friendly fire isn't...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »
Another vote to convert server 2 => cp maps w/ team chat.

I'd go for a fixed number of players (28?); changing the player count lower means someone gets kicked on map change and that just sounds like bad mojo.  :P

Falc

amanderr

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
Another person in favor of changing server #2 to CP so I can escape during goldrush ;)