*AuthorTopic: A solution for the second server  (Read 12869 times)

Fila!

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: A solution for the second server
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »
Also you seem to have ignored CTF. I don't know whether deliberately or not but I just want to add the point of staying well clear of CTF_DoubleCross. That map has killed the server this community played prior every single time.

Jaunty

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 08:22:55 AM »
I'm positive you're thinking about the A/D version of gorge.  Whenever 5gorge comes up in a vote, players vote it as the next map thinking it's just regular gorge.  It's pretty funny watching most of the blue team sit in their spawn when the match starts thinking it's still set up time, when they need to be running to the middle point. Makes me laugh every time.  I hate the 5cp version as well.

That's a very fair answer.  I personally do the same thing with maps i don't particularly like.  If they come up, fine.  If it's around that 1.5-2 hour mark, I'm looking to have a break from the game anyways. The point is, that even when stating that you detest one or two maps that come up (I have a couple on my list also), we both will still play them if they come up once in a while.  Just not something we want to play every third round or so. 

As of now, we have 7 PL, 6 CP (including Fastlane  ;D), 6 A/D, 2 PLR, and 3 KOTH.  I originally thought since KOTH maps were so short we could get away with 3 of them in the rotation, without it seeming like they come up all of the time. After reading your post, maybe just Harvest might be enough.  Harvest because there's more dislike towards Lakeside and Nucleus. I would still suggest keeping one or two in the rotation, though.

I also asked about it being via a voting system.  Of course, it's completely up to the community to have one or not.  It works great on the payload server because it's familiar and everyone loves payload.  My hesitation about it being on a *new mixed mode server is that some maps would never get a proper chance. I also think about the disappointment some vocal players have when the map they want doesn't get chosen, because they choose to say how much they hate that particular map before it's even switched over.  I've noticed it turns into a snowball effect on the payload server and it really is quite annoying.  My hesitation is that this same snowball effect would happen on this mixed server without giving it some time.

Yes, I left CTF out deliberately because I don't have very much experience playing all of them on 32 man mixed mode servers.  It's not that they were not in the rotation at all, they just never got voted for. The very few times they did get passed it was mostly because everyone just wanted to do something different for one map (similar to why a server would want to play 1 round of degroot).  I should have said that in my original post but it slipped my mind. If this thread gets enough attention I'll edit it.  It does seem like we both agree they should not be added, though.

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »
I agree with staying clear of KOTH, that game mode is pretty much for competitive and 24 person servers. It's no good with 32.
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »
Yeah I'm not a KOTH fan.

My personal opinion, I'd rather leave KOTH out and concentrate on the other modes. I mean, KOTH is fun, for a very brief time having not played it for awhile but gets old quick for me.

Jaunty

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
Thank you to all who have posted in this thread or have taken the time to read that wall of text, especially considering it's only been up for just one day.  Your support and feedback is very encouraging.  It seems that this community still wants a mixed mode rotation server without KOTH and CTF maps added, it's just too risky to have.  It's so important that you all have expressed that and hopefully we'll still get support on this topic from those who haven't had time to read this yet.

I'm going to edit the original post with the feedback you all have provided and please, keep the great suggestions coming.

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »
As you may have heard in game last night Enforcer and myself have been trying to guide people to this post to have their say. :)

We need to do something! I encourage all to to share their opinions.

Fila!

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »
I'm positive you're thinking about the A/D version of gorge.  Whenever 5gorge comes up in a vote, players vote it as the next map thinking it's just regular gorge.  It's pretty funny watching most of the blue team sit in their spawn when the match starts thinking it's still set up time, when they need to be running to the middle point. Makes me laugh every time.  I hate the 5cp version as well.

That's a very fair answer.  I personally do the same thing with maps i don't particularly like.  If they come up, fine.  If it's around that 1.5-2 hour mark, I'm looking to have a break from the game anyways. The point is, that even when stating that you detest one or two maps that come up (I have a couple on my list also), we both will still play them if they come up once in a while.  Just not something we want to play every third round or so. 

As of now, we have 7 PL, 6 CP (including Fastlane  ;D), 6 A/D, 2 PLR, and 3 KOTH.  I originally thought since KOTH maps were so short we could get away with 3 of them in the rotation, without it seeming like they come up all of the time. After reading your post, maybe just Harvest might be enough.  Harvest because there's more dislike towards Lakeside and Nucleus. I would still suggest keeping one or two in the rotation, though.

I also asked about it being via a voting system.  Of course, it's completely up to the community to have one or not.  It works great on the payload server because it's familiar and everyone loves payload.  My hesitation about it being on a *new mixed mode server is that some maps would never get a proper chance. I also think about the disappointment some vocal players have when the map they want doesn't get chosen, because they choose to say how much they hate that particular map before it's even switched over.  I've noticed it turns into a snowball effect on the payload server and it really is quite annoying.  My hesitation is that this same snowball effect would happen on this mixed server without giving it some time.

Yes, I left CTF out deliberately because I don't have very much experience playing all of them on 32 man mixed mode servers.  It's not that they were not in the rotation at all, they just never got voted for. The very few times they did get passed it was mostly because everyone just wanted to do something different for one map (similar to why a server would want to play 1 round of degroot).  I should have said that in my original post but it slipped my mind. If this thread gets enough attention I'll edit it.  It does seem like we both agree they should not be added, though.

Not entirely leave out CTF. I think CTF_Turbine and CTF_Well work pretty well. CTF_Well works surprisingly well I might add (since the whole experience with gorge 5gorge for example).

2fort can work well if people really play it as it's meant to be played but it generally just degenerates into a deathmatch so I usually avoid it. (and it's too small for 32 players really)
And I don't have enough experience on CTF_Sawmill so I can't pronounce myself regarding that map.

And I want to make a note regarding me leaving when KOTH maps come on. I don't like all the stock maps, for example I dislike cp_gullywash but if it comes up after the 90-120min mark I would still play it. KOTH, as mentioned, no.

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
(and it's too small for 32 players really)

Absolutely!!! Been there, done that, didn't buy the T-shirt because it sucked!!

P.S.

I'm going to try and start the server now if anyone reading cares to follow. :)

DrQuantum

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • aka FishFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
I would very much love a mixed mode server with some of the regulars we all enjoy playing with.

Payload: Agree that it's better to probably have only stock options. They are easier to populate and people still like them. I'm in the camp that they are good maps but simply overplayed on the PL server (though some feel they aren't good maps).

PLR: I'm in the minority I guess of players who enjoy the frantic play these maps have to offer. They aren't very popular but perhaps it would be best to have two maps to break up game modes.

KOTH: In a similar vein as PLR, some of these are popular and might be good to include at least one in a rotation BUT I think with the right mix of other modes and maps this wont be missed if it's included.

5CP: I agree with the 6 maps mentioned.

A/D: I also agree with maps mentioned here as well.

CTF: Enough servers have 24/7 2Fort that it need not be considered although I think it would be fun to play with everyone. Don't have experience with other CTF maps to comment.

As it is, I don't ever see the server with anyone in it so what would it hurt to try this out? I think a lot of it is just that the game is aging and the people that play have their own community they want to be a part of. Why spend the few hours we have to play trying to populate a server when instead we can join the payload map that's at capacity every night.

Jaunty

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 12:11:17 PM »
I think a lot of it is just that the game is aging and the people that play have their own community they want to be a part of. Why spend the few hours we have to play trying to populate a server when instead we can join the payload map that's at capacity every night.

An excellent point and one of the reasons I made this thread. A large group of people have been asking for mixed modes for quite some time now.  If anyone reading this doesn't believe me, just read through all of the threads posted in this forum alone.  The reason we never had mixed mode on the payload server is because some admins did not want to make it mixed mode. For whatever reasons they have, I can't see that ever changing or it would have happened by now.  Payload server will always be a payload server. I completely respect their decision on that and think the direction they took by adding custom maps has been great.  However, with an empty server sitting there doing nothing while ignoring how many people have been asking for a mixed mode server for a very, very long time is beyond me.  Like you said, "people that play have their own community they want to be a part of" and a lot of us want to play mixed modes with this community, not just payload.

Edit: Not all of that was directed at you, Dr. Quantum.  I just thought you made a great point that I wanted to elaborate on.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:19:47 PM by Jaunty »

Man_in_Kilt

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
i feel that a combined CP/PL server would work well or maybe bring back the twin'd overflow like wolfpup mentioned above.  It would prevent the 2nd server from sitting empty and lonely and sad.  My lil bit, thanks for reading.

~Kilt

DrQuantum

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • aka FishFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »
An excellent point and one of the reasons I made this thread. A large group of people have been asking for mixed modes for quite some time now.  If anyone reading this doesn't believe me, just read through all of the threads posted in this forum alone.  The reason we never had mixed mode on the payload server is because some admins did not want to make it mixed mode. For whatever reasons they have, I can't see that ever changing or it would have happened by now.  Payload server will always be a payload server. I completely respect their decision on that and think the direction they took by adding custom maps has been great.  However, with an empty server sitting there doing nothing while ignoring how many people have been asking for a mixed mode server for a very, very long time is beyond me.  Like you said, "people that play have their own community they want to be a part of" and a lot of us want to play mixed modes with this community, not just payload.

Edit: Not all of that was directed at you, Dr. Quantum.  I just thought you made a great point that I wanted to elaborate on.

I certainly hope we can get the second server going. I know there are plenty of times I'm not ready to stop playing but for whatever reasons I want to get off payload (map I don't like, simply getting frustrated at playing poorly) and if a second server was populated I would probably switch on over. I think it's a testament to the community that many people, myself including, consider playing TF2 and playing on Hyperion as the same thing.

Jaunty

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
It's the population factor that worries me after Valve changing quickplay. Even if the server never reaches a full 32 players consistantly, it would still be great as a 24 man, fast respawn overflow server.  Maybe that's more realistic? I'd take that anyday over what it is right now. Fast respawn wouldn't be *my first choice but it's crazy how popular they are and i wouldn't take that off the table at first thought.

Fila!

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »
Ugh. Fast respawn. Hate that thing so much I'd rather keep it payload only :D

Edit: I'd rather have KOTH on the server than fast respawn :D

Wolfpup

• Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »
I just want to say a quick update and thanks, so I can get back in game but we have a full rotation server!!!!

People (Old SOP) who had tired of PL are coming back already. *thumbs up*

Thank you kindly Plasma!! :)

Now lets just hope we can smooth it all out so both servers see more traffic through out the day/evening.

Again, thanks Plasma.