*AuthorTopic: Buggy Map Vote system  (Read 1913 times)

wth101

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Buggy Map Vote system
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
i was wondering if you guys can look into the map vote system. whenever we vote for the next map, the map with the lower vote will win. example barnblitz has 15 votes but frontier has 11 votes. then the next map changes to frontier. and i noticed it custom maps will more likely win even if the votes are lower.

wth101

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Buggy Map Vote system
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »
can someone please fix this. its never been issued and constantly switching to maps that got lower votes.

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »
It's not buggy. The maps are "weighted" differently, to avoid the same maps from coming up over and over again. If Barnblitz was played recently, it will be less likely to win the next vote it appears in due to this "weighting".

At least that is how I understand it.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:30:02 PM »
What Wolfpup said.

It's hidden, but each map has a different weight that actually changes based on map played history and server time.
For example, it will be easier for badwater to pass than hoodoo if it's 2AM.

The reverse is true as well: in your example, we want some "less-popular/played" maps like frontier and custom ones to win more frequently when it's "prime time" (late afternoon/evening).

During prime time, we'd like to see more map diversity (otherwise our regulars will suicide en masse after playing 6 badwater/goldrush in a row, and we need you guys!) and when it's late at night, we prefer to play more popular maps to make sure we have enough players on the servers (meaning we have to rely on Quickplay and non-regular players outside Americas).

To answer your question, yes, sometimes a map with less votes will win, and even if it doesn't make sense, it's not actually broken. If we followed the vote results all the time, I'm afraid we would be playing the same maps over and over again.

Public Group:
--
Private Group: