*AuthorTopic: Game keeps crashing...help??  (Read 10009 times)

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Game keeps crashing...help??
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:20 AM »
Yeah Missa mine does that too half the time.  Whenever it gets real bad (rare) i disable multicore rendering and it solves the crashing problem, but then I get low fps =[

missa

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 09:09:49 AM »
Yeah Missa mine does that too half the time.  Whenever it gets real bad (rare) i disable multicore rendering and it solves the crashing problem, but then I get low fps =[

I had to roll back my video drivers to the older version. Some people were posting on the EVGA forums and on the steam forums that rolling back the drivers helped. I'm going to try to get on tonight to test it out and see if that helped any. It has increased in frequency since I updated my video drivers. I hope this worked so that it doesn't happen as often anymore. It's quite annoying!

JackCnKing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »
You're graphics card is gg? It's dead?

No. my pc is gg

missa

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
what happened???  :(

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »
You know, I had the same exact problem before in TF2 (and in other games).
Frequent CTD with sound loop. I emailed my GFX card support and they told me to try a bunch of different things. Cirno asked the same question a while back, and this is what I said: http://hyperiongaming.org/index.php?topic=358.msg2718#msg2718

"You know, I used to see that window way too often before, but I managed to find the cause and the problem.
Do you have an nVidia GFX card? Does your motherboard has an onboard audiochip? If so, you may be suffering from the same issues my computer was having.

Check this support thread. http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=59211

I used to have a lot of HL2.exe has crashed (with crazy loud sound loop) after playing for like 20min. Since I followed the instructions above, I don't have this problem anymore. Maybe it can help you guys too.

If it doesn't, there might be some other things you could try..."

Try to follow the link above. That fixed my problem. Maybe it will work for you too.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

missa

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »
I have Nvidia graphics and EVGA motherboard. The motherboard does have on-board audio. Here are the links to my mobo and graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

I'm not sure that link you gave me will work since my graphics card is a 9 series and the link you gave is for 400/500/600 series.

I'm not getting the HL2.exe error. I'm getting the display driver has stopped responded and half the time it just loops then after about 15 seconds the game continues or it keeps looping and I have to end the process.

I'm afraid to try the suggestion in the link since it's not geared toward my hardware. I don't want to do it then be worse off then I am now.  =(

I haven't tested it since I've rolled back the drivers. I'll try it later once I get done with my homework.

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 09:06:59 AM »
Hey missa,

I was at work surfing and was REMINDED =[  how bad of a problem this was.  Apparently there is a 2 year old thread on Steam forums with people experiencing the same problems.  The reason I came across this yet again was cause I was considering buying an ATI graphics card, but apparently people with ATI run into the same problem.  I think this comes down to the graphic cards these days trying to process too much with a game that demands so little or something like that (sorry I'm not too tech savvy lol).

I think Valve really just needs to fix it......which they won't =[

missa

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
Yeah I saw all the threads about this issue. I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. Apparently it's out of my hands. It just seems like it got worse when I updated my drivers. I haven't been able to test it since I've rolled back my drivers yet since I've had a ton of homework and am just now getting over being sick. This last week has been hell for me. I'll be playing again soon, hopefully.

missa

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 01:43:37 AM »
UPDATE:
So I played tonight for about an hour and a half. I didn't get any looping or game crashed. I rolled back my drivers and it seems to be running better!! So...for now...I guess I found a temp fix. Don't update drivers. LOL

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 02:59:34 PM »
I know you didn't want to try the link I posted, but I think that's exactly the same problem I had.
You don't have to change or install anything for now. Just go to Device Manager, then select your Graphic Card in Display Adapters. Right-Click Properties. Note what it says after Location: (should be PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0 with different numbers). Do you have multiple GFX cards? If so, do the above for each.

Now back to Device Manager, go to System Devices, and look for High Definition Audio Controller (or similar, HD Audio, HD Audio Controller, etc...). Right-Click Properties on each and look for their Location. If you see one of these HD Audio match the same Location as one of your GFX card, there's your problem. (It's possible it doesn't match the Location perfectly, for example, my GFX card is PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0 and my on-board audio controller causing the problem was PCI bus 3, device 0, function 1. Even though there's a function 1 instead of 0, it's still the same Location.)

Right-Click on the HD Audio Controller sharing the same location as one of your GFX card, and click Disable (NOT UNINSTALL, so you're not actually modifying anything on your computer). You might have to restart at this point, but if you now check under Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager, you shouldn't see Nvidia Audio or other Audio than your motherboard (again, if you still see one, you need to restart and check again).

By following the above, you're not changing anything on your computer. You're not at risk of making the problem worse or whatever because you can simply re-enable the disabled HD Audio Controller if it doesn't work. I followed the instructions above, and I've never had any sound loop crash ever again.

(I do have Dx11 problems though, but usually it's tied to the games I'm playing, like in Civ5 I had to remove all intro .avi video files and then no more Dx11 problems, /shrug)
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

missa

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
My graphics says: PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0
My High Definition Audio Controller says: PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0

I don't think that's the problem.

It seemed to have been working fine last night when I was playing for about an hour and a half. I rolled back the drivers and was able to play with no loop backs or crashes. I think it might have been the updated drivers.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
Alright, well, I'm glad you found the solution either way :)
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

missa

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
Ok, that didn't fix it!! This is starting to piss me off!!!!    >:(

I give up!!

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%