*AuthorTopic: sv_pure on Payload #1  (Read 7406 times)

nergal

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
sv_pure on Payload #1
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:45:02 PM »
I migrated from another server to Payload #1 server at 66.151.138.182:27015

the SOLE reason for this migration was because my usermods were not working on the server i used to go on, and because they weren't working I would crash EVERY map change.

Now the same thing is happening on Payload #1.

the sole reason this happens because the server cvar "sv_pure" is set to 2, which enforces my game to play vanilla, no modifications.

I need to play with my usermods because I like my game customized to my needs, but Payload #1 is preventing me from doing that.

If you will not change the "sv_pure" cvar from 2 to 0, I will have to migrate to another server then.

Sparrow

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 1
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: sv_pure on Payload #1
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 11:46:29 PM »
Uh. There's a good reason for sv_pure to be set there.
Besides, Payload #1 is vanilla only (even for mods).
Not all those who wander are lost.

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:46:50 PM »
After looking at what sv_pure does (It's there to prevent hacks apparently), I'd feel safer if it was on. And I'm sure most of the server would rather not run the risk of hackers.

Sparrow

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 1
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:49:03 PM »
Hackers is one thing, but I think another reason is that you could mod your client to give you an edge (visual, scripts) over everyone else, and that's not exactly vanilla (pretty sure that's what one of the sv_pure's is about).
Not all those who wander are lost.

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
Scripts works on the server though, don't they (Though I still count that as a hack due to my limited knowledge). I swear I've seen Demo's charge around with some crazy sharp turns.

nergal

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:13:02 AM »
Scripts works on the server though, don't they (Though I still count that as a hack due to my limited knowledge). I swear I've seen Demo's charge around with some crazy sharp turns.

Scripts do not work fully though; I have a quick build script since I mainly play engineer, and the sentry will not build unless I hit right click.

sv_pure does not prevent/deter against Hackers, sv_pure ONLY works on players who do the following....

1. change textures to be transparent aka psuedo-wallhacking
2. modify player models in a way that they could detect players, such as giant head modifications.
3. increase certain sounds to notify the player of the prescence of an enemy, such as making the uncloak sound from the Invisibility watch more louder.

However I don't do this, I'm a Mod-Commissioner as well as a Modder, here's some of my work that I've frequently went on Payload #1 to test out - http://gamebanana.com/members/800583

My usermods mostly consist of custom sounds, sprites like the health bar, custom models+textures, and a custom HUD.

If your final decision is to keep sv_pure on 1 or 2, then I have no choice but to unfavorite Payload #1 and migrate AGAIN.

Payload #1 being vanilla shouldn't have anything to do with my usermods, the server I used to go to was entirely vanilla as well, I just enjoyed it a little more with my usermods until the community owner set sv_pure to 1 and 2.

my usermods will not work on sv_pure 1 or 2; What's with the sudden increase of Anti-Modificationism?

IF the server MUST have sv_pure set, can you guys please at least set it to sv_pure 1 and put sounds and weapon models and textures in the sv_pure 1 whitelist? That's all I'm asking.

From - https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pure_Servers

"Mode 1 Details
In this mode, the list of content that the server enforces is specified in the file pure_server_whitelist.txt, which is contained in the server's hl2 directory. Server administrators can edit this file to change which content clients are allowed to modify. For example, the server could specify in this file that clients are allowed to modify sounds, but not materials or models."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:18:07 AM by nergal »

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 07:52:47 AM »
Yes it was set to sv_pure 2 recently because it was left on sv_pure 0 for awhile due to a problem with sv_pure 1. We are currently working on adapting an sv_pure 1 with a UGC whitelist variant.

We are currently working on a few other server settings and plug-ins. We appreciate your patience until we can get this fixed.

nergal

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »
Yes it was set to sv_pure 2 recently because it was left on sv_pure 0 for awhile due to a problem with sv_pure 1. We are currently working on adapting an sv_pure 1 with a UGC whitelist variant.

We are currently working on a few other server settings and plug-ins. We appreciate your patience until we can get this fixed.

Thanks Christian, but I'm going to give you guys only a month before I will migrate permanently to another server.

It's hard finding a vanilla tf2 server thats all payload+customs that allow usermods.

Plugins eh? Maybe I can help. I know sourcemod scripting.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 04:48:25 PM »
We've moved to sv_pure 2 temporarily. There's a bug since SteamPipe that doesn't read sv_pure setting from the configuration files, which is why the servers were on sv_pure 0 for a while.

The plan is to have sv_pure 1 with a custom whitelist. I'm currently working on the whitelist, it will be ready soon (though maybe not this weekend as I'll be away.)
For now, we will probably not allow custom player models. We won't allow custom sounds that could give unfair advantage (really loud cloak/decloak sound for example). After some additional research, player/skins models and custom sounds (except specific ones like cloak/decloak) will be allowed. For HUD sprites and customHUD, we can work it out.

We always had sv_pure 1, the only reason it was set to 0 was because of that bug. It does not stop hackers, that's not what sv_pure does. It is, as you said, to prevent players from modifying their textures/player models to easily wallhack or to make enemies stand out, giving unfair advantages (and in some cases improving triggerbots by painting models heads bright red.)

EDIT:
Valve has fixed some issues that allowed players to make their textures invisible for example, so even with sv_pure 0 it shouldn't work. It doesn't mean there aren't any wallhack scripts, they just work even with sv_pure 1, it's a lot more involved than changing textures. There are really only two major options here, it's either going all the way with sv_pure 2, which would completely block all custom content, including sprays, or back to sv_pure 0 which is relatively robust to stop simple invisible texture "hackers".

In the end, I'd like to remain on the safe side, keep sv_pure 1 with a "generous" whitelist to allow custom content/models, but still block the most obvious wall textures, decloak sounds and some particles.
--
nergal, please post the list of custom content you're using, what they are, and a link to them if you can. You can PM me directly if you prefer. Again, it may take a few days as I'll be away this weekend. As long as it's not custom content that can be abused, we should be able to fix it.

And once again, sv_pure 2 was temporary. We're already back on sv_pure 1 to allow custom sprays.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:24:29 PM by Plasma »
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

nergal

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »
We've moved to sv_pure 2 temporarily. There's a bug since SteamPipe that doesn't read sv_pure setting from the configuration files, which is why the servers were on sv_pure 0 for a while.

The plan is to have sv_pure 1 with a custom whitelist. I'm currently working on the whitelist, it will be ready soon (though maybe not this weekend as I'll be away.)
For now, we will probably not allow custom player models. We won't allow custom sounds that could give unfair advantage (really loud cloak/decloak sound for example). Custom hitsounds is allowed though for example. Player weapons models should be OK. For HUD sprites and customHUD, we can work it out.

We always had sv_pure 1, the only reason it was set to 0 was because of that bug. It does not stop hackers, that's not what sv_pure does. It is, as you said, to prevent players from modifying their textures/player models to easily wallhack or to make enemies stand out, giving unfair advantages (and in some cases improving triggerbots by painting models heads bright red.)
--
nergal, please post the list of custom content you're using, what they are, and a link to them if you can. You can PM me directly if you prefer. Again, it may take a few days as I'll be away this weekend. As long as it's not custom content that can be abused, we should be able to fix it.

And once again, sv_pure 2 was temporary. We're already back on sv_pure 1 to allow custom sprays.

no probs, here's the stuff "whitelist" my custom crap uses

materials\effects
materials\hud
materials\models\weapons
materials\vvd_effects
materials\models\props_space

models\weapons
models\items

sound\weapons

resource\
scripts\

My custom items consist of custom hud, custom crit particles, weapon models+textures, sounds, and custom health/ammo packs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:04:42 PM by nergal »

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 11:15:42 PM »
OK, great, thank you for the list.
I've expanded on the whitelist quite a bit to allow for custom models and sounds (except a few specific ones). Out of the list above, what are materials\vvd_effects and materials\models\props_space? Do you have a screenshot that show these in-game?

Otherwise, log back on one of our two TF2 servers and let me know if there are still conflicts with your custom content. You can type "sv_pure" in console once logged in to check the current whitelist.

Public Group:
--
Private Group:

nergal

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 11:02:08 AM »
OK, great, thank you for the list.
I've expanded on the whitelist quite a bit to allow for custom models and sounds (except a few specific ones). Out of the list above, what are materials\vvd_effects and materials\models\props_space? Do you have a screenshot that show these in-game?

Otherwise, log back on one of our two TF2 servers and let me know if there are still conflicts with your custom content. You can type "sv_pure" in console once logged in to check the current whitelist.

vvd_effects is for the custom crit particles and props_space is for my custom health/ammo packs.