*AuthorTopic: Class Limits?  (Read 6246 times)

Janet Jackson

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Class Limits?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »
I wouldn't want any class limits... What if a class is maxed out with people who can't handle their role? Like if you cap engies but all the engies on the team can't or won't get a gun up, and no one can be like well these engies can't get a gun up I'll go engi and get this done.

And if it doesn't seem realistic that there could be 4 engies and no one actually accomplishing anything (not considering a scenario where the demos are all up in your business at the point and there's nothing anyone could do to get a building up anyway) well it I would say is as possible as 9 people deciding to go sniper
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:22:54 AM by Janet Jackson, Reason: added second paragraph »

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »
As you can see in the class selection in Red Orchestra 2, you are limited in each class and by all means, the game is still intense no matter what class someone picks. I know that RO2 and TF2 are very different games but you get the idea. Now, I know some classes shouldn't be limited like Soldier, medic etc. but we can limit on heavy,engi,sniper,demo, and spy because those classes in high number are pretty iffy IMO. Even with only 2 slots as sniper in RO2, there was no interest in the class with only 1-unlike TF2 where 90 percent of the time there is 2+ snipers or spies.

As far in RO2, when other classes are full, you are stuck as Rifleman (my personal favorita class) so i am not affected. But like who has a slow Hard drive and will take longer to load maps, or come in the game late, I will not get to pick my favorite class because they will be full like sniper. So I could go both ways when it comes to class limits.

Admin Edit: Resized picture.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:52:40 PM by chuy409, Reason: add paragraph »

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »
This is another interesting discussion.
--
I want to clear up any confusion with our current Class limits and try to explain why we've set the servers that way. I'll also share my own opinion. Feel free however to keep the discussion going, nothing is ever set in stone, and feedback is always very important for us to make sure the servers are always fun to play on.
--

We are limiting only 1 class: the Spy. There can only be 2 spies per team when there are less than 18 players on the server. When there are 18 or more players, there can only be 3 spies per team.
Donors and admins are allowed to pick Spy even if the class is "full" (this feature hasn't been tested in a while; please report if it's not working as intended).

Reason for limiting the spy class only:
We've decided that the Spy is the only class that can really be overpowered when played en masse by skilled players (and we do have a lot of very good spies on Payload).
--
I don't like limiting all classes; if people want to play a particular class, they should be able to (except spy for the reason above). While the server has a pretty high skill level for a public 32 slot server, it's not supposed to be a competitive pro match. A team with 6 snipers will have a very high chance of losing if nobody switches to a class that is needed. Choosing a class depending on whether you're attacking or defending is part of the strategy in TF2. Notice the opposite team has only 1 Pyro? 3 Spies will get rid of all defenses very quickly. A team with 6 engies? A couple of demo/medic teams and the sentries are gone. Changing the team composition on the fly requires some teamwork and strategy. Heck, sometimes just going with 6 scouts to push that cart down the last capping point might be a good idea (maybe? lol).

If we force arbitrary class limits, then we're restricting strategy and gameplay, I feel. I've also noticed when the team composition is unbalanced, team members will speak out and request someone to switch from sniper to a medic for example. Does it work nicely all the time? Nope, but it doesn't have to. If a team with 6 snipers gets steamrolled, the autoscramble should kick in and make sure the teams are a bit more balanced the next time around. It's not a perfect system, obviously, but I like to have more freedom than restrictions.

Finally, when you're artificially limiting classes, there's always a high risk of having 3 bad snipers preventing that one skilled sniper to do his job, leading to a lot of frustration from both the guy trying to play sniper and his team yelling at the bad snipers to switch class.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:18:26 PM by Plasma »
Public Group:
--
Private Group: