*AuthorTopic: Custom Maps/Additional Maps on the Payload Server  (Read 6415 times)

Hubris

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Custom Maps/Additional Maps on the Payload Server
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:02:18 PM »
Normally I wouldn't post here, but I guess it is warranted in this case.

I am a regular on the payload server and I donate. I guess that doesn't mean too much, but take it for what it is worth.

Would it be possible to add maps to the rotation, specifically more custom maps? Currently, these maps can only be played when an admin is on and after they have to be asked to do a vote. This is really not an efficient or an effective system. Why? Because usually the custom vote reads, "Play x next? Yes or no?" Now I am not criticizing the admins. I know they are following what they are told to do or whatever. But half the time, the vote threshold for these votes is really high (especially when there are only two options). Like with any sort of server vote, there are a lot of people who don't vote which counts as a NO vote. So when you need something like 70 percent, you end up with the situation we had tonight. There were like 15 people who voted yes and 4 people who voted no. The vote failed because 16 YES votes were needed.

It would be nice if we didn't have to play Barnblitz every 4th map change. New maps can help keep the server alive when people have already played the same map a few times in the same gaming period.

I also feel that some of the admins could speak to this as they often get bombarded with requests for these votes, but maybe (this is me taking a guess) they feel hesitant because they don't want to get in trouble if one person doesn't like it. However even though people don't flock to the forums to post about this doesn't mean that there isn't a demand. Most people (from what I see from lurking) don't post and I normally wouldn't post either.

In short, there is a demand to add new maps to the rotation. The current system for playing these maps is inefficient and ineffective. There is demand for newer maps to be added to the rotation so we don't have to depend on (1) when an admin is on; (2) for them to trigger ad-hoc vote(s); and (3) to add variety to the server.

I know I am not the only person who has this opinion either. There are a lot of regulars (who also happen to be donators) that also feel this way. Perhaps reaching out would be one way of gauging this interest. I don't know?

-Ephemera

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Maps/Additional Maps on the Payload Server
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »
I agree completely, also a nominate function would be great, being that nominate has been a source mod feature forever i don't understand why it is so difficult to add it? I love those kinds of servers where you type "nominate" and there are about 10 pages of custom maps to choose from. Instead we have to settle for goldrush/upward/badwater/etc. and then maybe every now and then a custom map might sneak into a map vote. and why the hell is metro not on the list? blows my mind when I see an admin have to manually bring up a map vote for a map that seems widely enjoyed because its not even on the damn rotation. its 2015 we shouldn't need an admin to pull up map votes because the system that is already in place works so poorly. Considering how many people donate to this server, things should be improved.
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

n.

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:18:20 PM »
Agree with all of the above. Also can we PLEASE get the outdated maps brought up to date? Specifically borneo and millstone which are now stock maps but we're still on old beta versions.

DrQuantum

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • aka FishFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
Another Yes please to: Nominate, more maps and updates existing maps.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 04:56:38 PM »
I'll make a real post later when I have a bit more time.

Quick reply:
I'll update the current maps to their latest versions soon. The new custom maps added a few months ago will be added to the map chooser list. New maps will be uploaded, but won't be on the official rotation. Admins will be able to switch manually.

Nominating maps isn't compatible with the map chooser we're using. The system we're using has been very helpful in the past, and still is for traffic reasons. I'll look into another mapchooser system, and will run tests on a separate server.

I understand concerns regarding map diversity, but please keep in mind custom maps attract less players in general, and I doubt we'll see anybody play on custom map X if the server is empty. There's a reason the server starts on badwater then goldrush. Yes, these maps are awfully boring for you guys who have been playing for years, but sadly Valve keeps making it more and more difficult to find new players. I'll explain more later.

TLDR: I read/understand your concerns and will be looking into solutions: updating maps, new custom maps, and a better mapchooser system.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Hubris

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 05:24:08 PM »
I guess it isn't so much that maps are updated. I guess the way in which to get the admins to do a manual vote and such is very inefficient and such. You might as well take them off because by the time someone persuades the admin to do a custom vote and then they hastily put one together, we still run into the problem of the voting threshold being too high (and then we run into the problem that enough people

I guess having the option to nominate would be a really good compromise and breathe some new life into the server.

n.

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks Plasma!

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »
we still run into the problem of the voting threshold being too high (and then we run into the problem that enough people

The high threshold is to try and keep new people/donors who want to/pay to play Badwater/Goldrush appeased somewhat. We have had people complain that they come for Batewater/Goldrush then we go and change it. I can understand the frustration but we also need to keep the regulars/donors who are bored with these maps happy. It's kind of a fine line we are walking here. We don't want to chase anyone away, but we also don't want people to leave from pure boredom in map options. So I figured if we raised the win limit (I like 70%) it's a little more overwhelmingly wanted, we will piss less people off.

Valve needs learn when to leave alone and stop crippling their own game. They are making it harder and harder for the little guy, being us, to make it. They want all traffic on their servers. Their servers get all the fluff. They place limits on quickplay, in their favour not allowing us to, say, remove random critz because it will break quickplay. (And we need the new players to keep the community going.) They wont remove them officially either, when we all know they are not needed. Sure, back before they added all these weapons/etc to add mini-critz/buffs/etc they made sense. They no longer do though! But....we all know....(You know what's coming)...VALVE SUCKS! I know, my same old piddling and moaning, but it's true! :P

Sorry. I woke up in pain this morning thus in a bad mood.....I needed to rant a bit. Valves always a good target.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:30:28 PM by Wolfpup »

Hubris

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 02:23:48 PM »
But please tell me who are these magnificent unicorns because I am not seeing them on the server. I am mostly seeing people who are asking for the custom maps and such. It makes no sense to have the threshold that high for the custom maps especially when the non-votes (i.e. the people who don't even bother to push a number to vote) count as a NO vote.

So basically if there are only like 25 people voting on the server, then basically anyone who wants to play anything new is screwed.

To me as I previously said, this is a really inefficient system. This is not a bad change for the server and I am not sure why there is any sort of pushback on something that is so minor and could improve the server. You could even test it out to see how it goes v.s. making it something permanent right away. I highly doubt you would see a decrease in server traffic.

There are other successful servers that do this, so this isn't a totally crazy idea. Wolf, you play on the servers regularly so you know what I am saying is not crazy. Where are all the other admins on here?

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
I agree with the fact that the voter sticks to mostly badwater/goldrush and other stock maps for filling the server or if the server dips below whatever the value is set at. It's just when its at peak hours with mostly donators/regulars playing that a vote comes up with three stock maps, thats the real problem. I've even gone to that OTHER 32 person payload server when these votes come up because I know chances are they aren't playing some 6 year old stock map.
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

Shocks

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 11:25:41 PM »
What about incorporating CP (Capture the Point) maps into the PL server (Thus a PL / CP server).
I have played on other servers that are setup with this configuration; considering PL and CP maps are pretty similar.  PL being push the cart from A-->B-->C.  CP being CAP point from A-->B-->C

Doing this would considerably expand the map choices on the server, and shouldn't hurt server popularity as CP and PL maps are very popular.
Here's a list of official TF2 maps: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/List_of_maps