*AuthorTopic: Is this game is fun as much as TF2?  (Read 3045 times)

Waldo

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Is this game is fun as much as TF2?
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »
Is this game fun as much as TF2?

What are features and funny points of this game?  :)

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game is fun as much as TF2?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »
no Waldo... there is no CABER in NS2!!! :p hehe

smilE

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »
I've played the first game, in my experience it was fun. I can't really say the same for NS2 cause I do not own it, but I'm sure it's much fun too :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:48:16 AM by smilE »

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
It's a very different kind of fun.
I'd say it's definitely more serious and requires more teamwork to succeed.
It really reminds me of a Starcraft game between the Terrans and Zerg but in first person. There's even one player on each team that plays the game as a RTS (Commander).
--
It's more difficult to learn than TF2 and each team plays completely differently. Marines plays very much like regular FPS, but you still have access to a lot of cool toys like grenade launchers, flamethrowers, jetpacks and exos with dual plasma cannons. Marines must explore the map in small groups otherwise they'll get eaten alive by the aliens. It can be really tense as Aliens can destroy power generators and rooms can be completely dark. You have to rely on your flashlight, while Aliens have night-vision. The maps are very atmospheric, and you feel like playing Aliens: the movies.

Playing as Aliens can be quite difficult at first since most of your attacks must be done in melee range. The basic alien life form is fast, can wall climb, leap (when upgraded), and move through vents. You can really play mind games with Marines, growling the dark while they check every corner, like a sniper looking for a cloaked spy. Speaking of cloak, aliens have access to cloak when upgraded. They have also have a bunch of other life forms available. The Lerk is a flyer creature with poisonous bites and fast projectiles. The Fade is the silent assassin, capable of blinking and moving at high speed. One single stab and you're dead. It can also vortex out of danger. The gorge looks like a pig and is more of a support unit. It's able to spawn alien turrets, blockades, webs and even tunnels underneath the map for aliens to move through. It's also the healer. Finally, the big daddy of all aliens: the Onos. It's a huge living tank, capable of stomping marines and charging its way into structures.
--
At this point, I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. IMO, it's one of the most unique MP FPS game out there, especially with its brilliant asynchronous gameplay. It takes a while to understand how to play, and especially how to play well. It's also a longer game (on average) than TF2 as there's a lot of back and forth between teams (except successful rush).

However, I think the community is on average pretty welcoming to new players. Experiences can vary of course, but if you leave your new player tag on and join Rookie friendly servers (green color), you should be OK. Obviously, don't jump in the commander chair if you have no idea what to do otherwise you'll be yelled at. The Dev team have also created a whole bunch of training and tips videos, so you can try Commander mode there.

As for our server, I think we have a good mix between Vanilla settings and admin management tools (similar to our TF2 servers). I'm not happy with performance still, but that's something I'm planning on improving once the game is a bit more stable.

And if I still haven't convinced you by now, Natural Selection 2 is free to play this weekend until Sunday 1PM PST. During this time, the game is also 75% off, down to $6.24. It's an amazing price.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/
--
I hope you guys will at least give it a try :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:40:43 AM by Plasma »
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Waldo

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:49:31 PM »
K, I'll try it in this weekend.  :D