Poll

Would you like to see Random critical hits removed?

Yes
5 (83.3%)
No
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: February 09, 2015, 06:50:21 PM

*AuthorTopic: Remove Random Critical Hits now in correct forum  (Read 6392 times)

epfcg

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Remove Random Critical Hits now in correct forum
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:50:21 PM »
I believe a lot of players would like to see critical hits removed and be able to play tf2 more competitively without randomly dying when they really shouldn't have. Competitive tf2 players don't play with random crits because the only randomness we need should be entirely situational as a result of player's own actions.  It is fairly easy to remove crits and am really wondering what the rest of you would want to see done.  In addition it seems to be a tool to randomly let people who are at a situational disadvantage randomly win.  I'm sure a lot of you don't want to see several players of your team about to finish off a player suddenly get critted.

epfcg

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Random Critical Hits now in correct forum
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »
The base crit chance for standard weapons is 2%. This is modified by a bonus percentage based on how much damage the player has done in the last 20 seconds, which scales from 0% at 0 damage to 10% at 800 damage.[1] For example, if the player has dealt 200 damage in the past 20 seconds, the additional bonus percentage is 2.5% and so the overall crit chance is 4.5%. As a result, the highest natural crit chance attainable is 12%.

Melee weapons are designed to crit far more often than ranged ones in order to encourage their usage at close range. Their base crit chance starts at 15% - higher than attainable for ranged weapons with the recent damage bonus maxed out - and their recent damage bonus scales from 0% to 45%, meaning a player that has done 800 damage or more in the last 20 seconds has a melee crit rate of 60%.
Therefore since they are based on damage done in the past critical hits help better players more which is ridiculous.

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:39:30 PM »
Melee weapons are designed to crit far more often than ranged ones in order to encourage their usage at close range. Their base crit chance starts at 15% - higher than attainable for ranged weapons with the recent damage bonus maxed out - and their recent damage bonus scales from 0% to 45%, meaning a player that has done 800 damage or more in the last 20 seconds has a melee crit rate of 60%.
Therefore since they are based on damage done in the past critical hits help better players more which is ridiculous.
Yea melee crits are so stupid. A 60% chance of hitting for 195 is ridiculously unbalanced, even if people claim "Well everyone has the same chance" arguement it's still stupid to have them. Please disable them.
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:21:25 PM »
I Love you both but i beg to differ.  I think the randomness of random crits makes this game fun.  IT can turn the tide of a round whether you're losing or not or get you out of "bad" situation.  Please keep them for the sake of how this game was designed.  I think the majority of TF2 players (i myself hate being avictim) hate htem, but we love them at the same time when we are able to use one.

epfcg

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:55:09 AM »
random crits are not random, they are based on damage done over time, and it is even higher for melee, for example you have a 60 percent melee crit chance if you did 800 damage or more in the last 20 seconds.

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:17:27 AM »
Please keep them for the sake of how this game was designed.

You mean, like, for 24 player slot servers..... ;)

This is not a 24 slot server, so we already don't play it as designed!

Just saying.

JackCnKing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »
Random crit is for fun! It is TF2 after all....

I am Yes and No on this...

DrunkUncle

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »
You mean, like, for 24 player slot servers..... ;)

This is not a 24 slot server, so we already don't play it as designed!

Just saying.
Exactly. I'm not very pleased when i get a random crit that kills four people as opposed to actually killing them by outplaying them. Let skill decide who wins the fights, not randomness. And I don't think its fun when you're holding a point really well but a random crit sticky/pipe/rocket kills four people and causes you to lose when you were going to win. That's what the kritzkrieg is for, half the medics already use that most the time so i think there are plenty of crits flying around as it is.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:44:39 PM by DrunkUncle »
"But if you were right and someone was using a bot then recording a demo and posting it here and having someone experienced review it tick by tick would reveal that bot and you could "catch" me."
"I was never kicked from the server?"

DrQuantum

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • aka FishFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 05:34:26 PM »
I'm in favor of removing random criticals. I've seen plenty of times a coordinated kritz medic and attack class be outdone by a random crit and it just doesn't fit the game to me. I don't see TF2 as a game where randomness has a place over coordination.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 11:39:50 AM »
I'll just re-post from the 1st thread:

"Unfortunately, random crits are needed to remain a Quickplay server. Quickplay isn't as great as it used to be, but I still think it represents at least 8-12% of our incoming traffic maybe more, depending on time of day."
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
And it blows goats! :(

Valve needs to rethink this decision if ya ask me. But they wont because Valve sucks. (Yes, I have a real hate on for what they have done to TF2! Grrr)

epfcg

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »
perhaps a plugin where you can vote to turn off random critical hits would be an ideal solution.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:42:01 PM by epfcg »

jackflash

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »
I might be biased since I usually play medic, and the random crits I get are far lower than the amount I receive.  It does get old when you go around racking up some kills, pulling off some crazy shit, then out of nowhere you get hit by a random crit that wouldn't have normally killed you.  Sure it's nice when it saves your ass, and it's balanced in a sense, but it would be balanced if it was gone too.  I just can't think of any pros, just cons, other than that's what it's been forever.

Does anyone have any good reason for keeping random crits?  Again maybe I'm biased since only 1/10 of the random crits I get ever help me and I swear some days I get hit by 5 in a row.

freezing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • It's not enough that I succeed, others should fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
competitive tf2, 32man server. Wat. But foreal turn nospread on, no1 can debate that.

tonyantonio

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 05:18:56 PM »
Krits can end or make games in a instant. I am not sure about this because I won more games than lost because of krits :D