Poll

Should we keep random crits enabled, or remove them?

Keep Random Crits
19 (55.9%)
Remove Random Crits
13 (38.2%)
Don't Care
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

*AuthorTopic: Random Crits  (Read 16167 times)

Falconeer

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Friendly fire isn't...
    • View Profile
Re: Random Crits
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »
There's a fairly simple solution:
Turn off random crits but don't tell anyone.  If anyone notices they'll say so.  If not, leave it off.   :P

Sandie

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Oh hai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »
There are 2 servers .. why not set one to random crits and one to no random crits and see which one people prefer for a trial period and then decide which based on player preference?

I've traditionally always played on servers with random crits and I don't mind them, they can be a double edged sword, but in competitive play they are off and it is nice too.

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
There are 2 servers .. why not set one to random crits and one to no random crits and see which one people prefer for a trial period and then decide which based on player preference?

I've traditionally always played on servers with random crits and I don't mind them, they can be a double edged sword, but in competitive play they are off and it is nice too.

The only problem I see with the trial is that only certain people go on certain servers. I've noticed most of the regulars do not play Payload Votation.

Sandie

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Oh hai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 12:59:06 AM »
true but then this would give them the option .. if they don't want random crits play over there if they do then don't. That way at least it was tested and if people wanted it they would have gone there and the matter is settled.

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 11:44:35 AM »
This game is about unpredictability (well in pubbing at least).  And I think that's what makes it fun/frustrating/challenging.  Let's KEEP THEM!

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 01:38:56 AM »
true but then this would give them the option .. if they don't want random crits play over there if they do then don't. That way at least it was tested and if people wanted it they would have gone there and the matter is settled.

Not necessarily true.

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »
What is the status on this? Are we going to try it out? Perhaps a no crit server for a month and see if it plays out?

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
Right now, we haven't planned to remove crits or setup a no crit server.
Payload will probably never be nocrits. We want the Payload server to be as Vanilla as possible.
--
If we decide to try nocrits, it will either be on a brand new server or a heavily modified Votation server (meaning, it wouldn't be Votation anymore). At this time though, there's currently no plan to make a new server/modify the current one.

I still think this thread is very interesting, and I've seen good arguments on both side of the issue.
The main problem with setting nocrits on a server is that you're immediately disqualified from quickplay traffic. And unfortunately, while Payload is a very popular server, we do not have a large enough community to start a brand new server without help from Quickplay.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 01:48:44 PM »
I just don't get why Valve refuses to officially remove them at this stage of the game. With all the mini critz weapons/stuff added, along with the ever so powerful Kritzkrieg, there simply is no need for random critz. May as well remove the Kritzkrieg with all the stupid (IMO) additions. /mini rant

This has been a bee in my boxers for some time now.

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »
It gives them another option for nerfs when it comes to new items, so I doubt they'd get rid of it.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 02:22:01 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if there would be a demand for a MGE mod type server, where people could duel and test their skills against each other in 1v1 duels or small team matches. Then, we would definitely disable crits for example. I know there are also ways to keep track of wins/losses, etc... Just an idea.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 03:21:53 AM »
The servers are getting very popular actually. I don't see any reason to rely on quickplay. No crits servers are hard to come by - and with that being said, there are players who want to play on them. It's 10 days into the month and we are already 175% of our goal. It was similar last month. It would be worth a shot to try out, honestly.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
Payload is very popular.

Votation is far from being popular. The only reason why it's sometimes full is because of quickplay and when a few regulars decide to play on it in the evening. A new server will be even worse, since that means starting from scratch. And yes, we have a lot more donations that is needed for the month. This is something relatively new however.
---
Still, I'm not saying we'll never have a NoCrits server. There are a few projects I want to do first, then if we can finance additional servers, we could try to setup a server around NoCrits and see how it does for 3-6 months. I'm just thinking out loud though, a lot can change really fast, so I don't want to make promises.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »
Understandable I suppose. I do think it would be a good idea in the future to trial out on the Votation server. There's nothing to lose in trying it out on a server that is scarcely populated. Virtually, it would be the only nocrits payload server on the West Coast. That would be bringing something to the table.

Falconeer

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Friendly fire isn't...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »
Perhaps we make an event of it.  Pick a day of the week and have a 'Wednesday Night NoKritz' session for a couple of hours on Votation?