*AuthorTopic: Game keeps crashing...help??  (Read 10008 times)

missa

Game keeps crashing...help??
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »
So my TF2 keeps crashing. It tells me that the display drivers have stopped working and closes my game. Before it crashes I get a sound loop and then the error message. I've tried updating my video drivers and downgrading my video drivers and nothing seems to fix the issue. I'm running Windows Vista 64, 6gigs ram, Intel core i7  920 2.67GHz, and I have the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ graphics card (yes I know it's old, LOL). Anyone have any suggestions to fix this issue or have you had this issue and found a fix for it?

Dave

• Co-Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
  • There can only be (1)Dave
    • View Profile
Re: Game keeps crashing...help??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
What are your GPU temps like? It's possible your GPU is overheating. Try MSI Afterburner if you don't have any monitoring program.

Also, how old is your graphics card / computer? It's possible the graphics card is just old and about to die.
-Dave
Co-Admin

missa

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
I bought the card and all the PC parts in January of 2009. I built the pc at the same time I bought the graphics card. It's old but really not that old. Overheating may be part of the issue. I'm going to try the MSI Afterburner and see what my GPU temps are and see if that's the problem. I hope that's not the problem because I really don't know how I would cool it down. I'm not very pc literate. LOL My brother in law built the pc for me, I just bought the parts.

Update:

Ok so I installed Afterburner but I have no idea how to read this thing. LOL
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:18:53 PM by missa »

cassandra64429

• Cass
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »
if its overheating, take the side off of your computer.  thats what i had to do (i also have a very old computer).
Don't run from me, I'm too lazy(fat) to chase...
Avid indoor enthusiast.

missa

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
So I'm guessing it is an overheating problem. I figured out how to kind of read the Afterburner and it says it's running at 52 degrees Celsius, I Googled what that is in Fahrenheit and it is 125 degrees Fahrenheit!!! I'm take it that is WAY TOO HOT!!! UGH!!!! Oh that's just running normal. No games running or anything. I'm guessing it's getting hotter when I run a game.

Dave

• Co-Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
  • There can only be (1)Dave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »
That's not bad. GPUs are designed to operate at upwards of 100 celcius. Also, the GPU fan spins faster at higher temperatures. But I would open up the PC case and make sure the fan on the GPU is spinning.
-Dave
Co-Admin

missa

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
Yeah I can see the fan spinning. If it's not overheating then I don't know what the problem is. Maybe the card is going bad or something.   :(

iShank

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »
This exact same thing was happening to me while playing BF3. I regularly upgrade my PC parts but my case is super old and has almost no air flow inside of it (fail). I tried installing new drivers and opening up my PC case to let air in, and this somewhat fixed the problem but made my PC super dusty inside. What I do now is open my windows and play BF3 at night or during the evening only, and so I rarely get that error message anymore. Instead of getting 184 Fahrenheit I get about 110ish and I can play now!

missa

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
My case has awesome air flow! I have a huge fan on top, 2 big ones in the front, 1 on the right side and 2 in the back.
This is the case I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

I usually only play TF2 at night anyways since I have classes and homework during the day.

iShank

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:09:37 PM »
Wow yeah, your case is way better than mine. I was getting overheating problems so that's why the cool air helped. But in your case, I don't think overheating is the problem. It may just be that your GPU is old and has a hard time keeping up with the game. I'm obviously not an expert so don't go out there buying a $600 new GPU haha. Search around for solutions and see if opening the case stops the crashing.

missa

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »
I'm obviously not an expert so don't go out there buying a $600 new GPU haha.

This made me LOL!!! I couldn't spend that much even if I wanted to!!!! HAHA!!!

Yeah I'll search the interwebs and see why I can dig up. Thanks for the help everyone!! I appreciate it!

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »
52 degrees Celsius isn't bad at all.  I use rivatuner to control the fan temperature and my limit is 70 tops and all games run well.

I randomly crash a lot though in TF2.  What will happen is the game will freeze, the sound will loop, and if my screen goes black I can then wait for about 30 seconds and then it fixes itself (I think sometimes it says the video driver failed but restarted).  Kind of annoying but meh.  I've heard it was only a GTX 260 problem but I'm not sure.  I can run more demanding games and they dont' crash at all so it really beats me.

missa

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 12:54:41 AM »
It's funny that you say that Ataris! I found quite a few forums where people were having problems running TF2 with NVIDIA cards. Mine does the same as yours but sometimes it doesn't recover and I have to ctrl+alt+del and stop the process. Apparently it's a known issue with NVIDIA cards and TF2.

JackCnKing

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 12:59:49 AM »
Mine is gg.....  :'(

missa

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 01:05:12 AM »