*AuthorTopic: Expanding the Servers!  (Read 10096 times)

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Expanding the Servers!
« on: August 18, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »
So I would like to start an open discussion to gauge interest and get some ideas from you guys! We have been talking about adding new servers for awhile now. But before adding a 3rd server (or more) we have been thinking about how to change Server #2 which is currently an exact clone of Server #1. Phasma calls it "the waiting room" lol! Because people wait on #2 while on queue for Server #1.

Now the idea is to make Server #2 distinct, so that it has it's own regulars. I suggested that it be an all-talk server, since I myself love all-talk. It would cater to a different set of players. Maybe even add fast respawn to it, and dead talk. More of a fun, easy server.

Now there are also talks of a no-crit server. Perhaps we can have:
Normal Server - Current server #1 stays the same
Easy Server - Server 2, all talk, fast-respawn, etc
Pro Server - Server 3, no crits, 24 player max, geared towards more serious players

We also wanna be in the quickplay or matchmaking.

[big][big]How does the matchmaking work?[/big][/big]
You need to be running a Valve map to be matched, except:
- Any arena map
- cp_manor_event
- cp_degrootkeep
- koth_harvest_event
- tc_hydro
Servers should be running as "vanilla" as possible. In particular, these server tags (sv_tags) will disqualify a server:
- friendlyfire
- respawntimes
- nocrits
- norespawntime
- nodmgspread
- highlander
- noquickplay
Your server should not be password protected
Your server needs to have VAC enabled
Increasing the max player count above 24 will incur a matchmaking scoring penalty, but will not disqualify you from the list

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:59:40 AM by Chainspell »

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding the Servers!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »
Quick-play is affected if you disable random critz right?  It is just my assumption & opinion, but I do not see the server #3 idea being very populated.  I mean I could be wrong, but I think 95% of us that play are not pro or have any pro experience. 

I do agree with server 2 seeming like the waiting room, but I think if you made server 2 to be control point/ctf of whatever it would be popular (leaving the mods and specifications like the main server).  I think it would at least be worth an experiment for a month if you made it that kind of server to see how traffic flows.

These are just my thoughts though I'm sure everyone has a lot of ideas.

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »

Now there are also talks of a no-crit server. Perhaps we can have:

Normal Server - Current server #1 stays the same
Easy Server - Server 2, all talk, fast-respawn, etc
Pro Server - Server 3, no crits, 24 player max, geared towards more serious players

It all sounds good to me. I'd really like the "Pro" server. Random critz drive me bat poop crazy. If Valve had not added Mad Milk, Pee, Frontier Justice, and all the other mini critz BS I could possibly see them being useful, possibly, but with all that they have added, there simply is no need for randoms any more. It's nothing more than a clusterfrag of mini/random critz as it stands. 32 people, with whatever ratio they us (for 24 players) it's like 3/1 critz/normal death. (Random rough figure based off experience in game.) At least that's how it feels in game.

I want Valve to remove them officially, but they seem to think they are need (Paraphrase:)"to keep the pace up and the game moving along"......whatever.

P.S.

I'm sure I can drag a bunch of the formally SourceOP people to it, though I know some of them prefer 32 slot servers vs 24.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
Just to add a few important points:

1). The Payload server will not change (except new custom maps, and small tweaks).
--
2). We can experiment with Votation/Server #2. However: this server already has a quickplay score/record, and it would be a shame to throw it out the window. I would really prefer to keep it Quickplay approved (meaning crits on/spawn time unaffected).
--
3). A third server is definitely possible, but it wouldn't happen this month. I need to solve a big issue with our NS2 server. Once that's done, we can add a 3rd server. On that server, I'll be willing to try non-Quickplay configurations.
--
4). While it's possible to try different configurations every week on a server and see what sticks, it's always more beneficial to have a real plan and make sure there's a demand for it. Unfortunately, these forums are not attracting enough player traffic to get that data, so please ask your friends what kind of server they'd like to see.
--
5). I respect everybody's opinions and ideas. Feedback is very important and I know everyone here only wants to improve the community. However, we can't implement all suggestions and the HG.org staff and I will make the final decisions.

---
For Votation, the most obvious idea would be to try a similar configuration to Payload but with CP maps. I'm not sure if all CP maps work well with 32 players though. I must admit Payload is by far my favorite game type.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »
This is from Valve Quickplay:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2825-AFGJ-3513

Servers should be running as "vanilla" as possible. In particular, these server tags (sv_tags) will disqualify a server:
- friendlyfire
- respawntimes
- nocrits
- norespawntime
- nodmgspread
- highlander
- noquickplay

Increasing the max player count above 24 will incur a matchmaking scoring penalty, but will not disqualify you from the list

Falconeer

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Friendly fire isn't...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
For Votation, the most obvious idea would be to try a similar configuration to Payload but with CP maps. I'm not sure if all CP maps work well with 32 players though. I must admit Payload is by far my favorite game type.
This would be my vote.

Here is my thinking:
Our regulars hang out on Payload; we don't have a regular contingent on Votation.  Any changes to Payload risks alienating the base.

If our goal is to have popular, populated servers, then we need to grow the regulars.  Adding a new type like a 'cp' only server adds new regulars (hopefully) without disrupting Payload.

It very well could become a trademark:  "Hyperion Gaming is proud to offer the finest individual payload and control point servers possible"

Thoughts?

Vic-Dog

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »
I would like a server with all non-payload maps so we can play some different maps.
The only idea that I DON'T like  is the server geared toward "serious gamers" It seems
like this would create a Snob factor and be intimidating for a mediocre player like myself.

8)

Sandie

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Oh hai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
I think changing server #2 as a cp server would be great. Payload is my favorite but CP can be really fun too and it's a nice change once in a while. 

If you set up a 3rd server you could always try a fun server with different game types like Dodgeball or Prop Hunt or Basketball style games, or a rotation of them for fun if you're not worried about the quickplay.

Falconeer

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Friendly fire isn't...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:38:23 AM »
I could very easily see myself switching from payload to cp and back depending on my 'mood' while playing.   :)

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
bump. so other ppl can see.

Luminair

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 03:33:49 PM »
I mentioned this to Chainspell yesterday, and a few other people chimed in on the matter as well: I would absolutely love to play some CTF or CP maps with the Hyperion crew!  Some of the names that came up in conversation were:

cp_dustbowl
ctf_sawmill
cp_egypt_final

Injecting some of my personal favourites to that list:
cp_steel
cp_junction_final
cp_degrootkeep

It seems like this thread has many faces that are friendly to this idea.  To piggyback on some of Sandie's ideas, maybe Saxxon as another game type on Server 3.  I understand that custom obviously may not be as friendly, as it won't automatically be fed players by Valve. 

With all of this said, I believe that Falconeer hits the topic right on the head: adding cp servers into the mix of our already very strong community of payload players might be short-sighted.  We do not want to alienate these individuals, but reinforce the model of a server group like Hyperion having something to offer all players. 

I personally do not like the 'pro' server idea for Hyperion.  We horse around so much that I can't see it being very useful.  Players that are ultra hardcore at TF2 aren't likely to be hanging out around Hyperiond 24/7 anyway. :)

ApatheticMango

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
...Dustbowl?

Christian

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 08:56:27 PM »
I did a poll in game asking:

[big][big]Do you like to play on all-talk servers?[/big][/big]
Result:

I'll keep running random polls like CP maps, etc.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:58:36 PM by Chainspell »

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »
Good idea!
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

Janet Jackson

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »
I would be cool with server 2 changing to quick respawn and possibly all talk, I like that sometimes. And server 3 being a cp/ctf rotation with regular rules. I would play all 3 if they were set up like that.