*AuthorTopic: Scoring  (Read 7083 times)

AlienDeceptions

Scoring
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:32:35 AM »
The scoring process really sucks in a big way.  >:(

Dave

• Co-Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
  • There can only be (1)Dave
    • View Profile
Re: Scoring
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:50:24 AM »
Well originally when you killed someone, you got the same number of points they lost. But you'd eventually even out and stop gaining points. This was frustrating, at least to me, because I felt like I had to always play my best, or else I'd lose points.

So we changed it so the victim lost half the points the attacker gained.

Is there anything in particular about scoring you don't like?
-Dave
Co-Admin

Hadden

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:08:07 AM »
Personally, I find it to be amazing compared to other servers where you work your ass off for 1 or 2 points.  I feel it is quite balanced.

AlienDeceptions

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:43:48 AM »

When I get killed, I lose 12 points and the person that killed me gets 25 points. I have YET to get 25 point for killing anybody as a pyro or soldier and yet when I get killed by either one of those classes, they get 25 points. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. The only way to gain in points is for me to play the engineer. As a pyro, I can kill four different classes, gain 4-8 points and get killed only to lose 12 points. ??? As a pyro when you stop an uber by blowing them apart and then get killed in the process you lose 12 points and get NOTHING for breaking up the uber. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED 25 POINTS for killing any class as a pyro or soldier. ONLY 1 or 2 points. I don't know how many points I get for a kill as an engineer as I don't have the time to look. I am too busy banging away or looking for spy's. I will say this again. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED 25 POINTS FOR KILLING ANY CLASS. Never, Never, Never...... and I have been watching for it only to see 1 or 2 points added for a kill. Also, the bonus for multikill should be exponential and not just one or two extra points. I have yet to figure out why when I get killed the other person gets 25 points and when I kill that very same person later on, I only get 1 or 2 points............... Fair? I don't think so. I know this is paranoia, but it seems as if the scoring is fixed. Just as in the same way some of the players don't lose energy when you hose them down with a good dose of flames and others do. There are a few players that just don't lose but a little energy no matter how much they get burned.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:48:23 AM by AlienDeceptions »

AlienDeceptions

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »
Well originally when you killed someone, you got the same number of points they lost. But you'd eventually even out and stop gaining points. This was frustrating, at least to me, because I felt like I had to always play my best, or else I'd lose points.

So we changed it so the victim lost half the points the attacker gained.

Just got done playing some more and once again at no time did I get more than 2 points for killing any class. One direct hit on a sniper as a soldier, blowing him into little bits and pieces and I get a whopping 2 points. No matter who killed me, I lost between 8-12 points with them getting between 16-25 points... Something is up with that and totally WRONG. I am about done playing on this server as a result of this......
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:33:45 PM by AlienDeceptions »

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
Here's how the scoring works:

The maximum you can win on killing someone is 25. The maximum you can lose is 12, and the minimum you can win is 2. The amount of points you get has nothing to do with what class you're playing, or your accuracy (though in the end, you need to have good accuracy to be in the top10).

When you kill someone, the plugin looks at your score, and the victim's. If your score is above his, you will win less points than if you killed someone with a higher score than you. It also scales. This means if you're just starting on the server, and your score is 1,000, killing someone like you who has +35,000 will reward them with 25 points (the maximum) because they managed to kill someone who's supposed to be in the top10 players of this server. It works for losing points the same way. If that low-ranked player kills you, you will lose the maximum amount of points, 12. The formula is: you will lose half of what the killer won.

This system was put in place because it allows for new players to have a chance to compete in the rankings, and it prevents people that play on the server 10+ hours a day to get too far ahead, that no matter what, nobody will catch up to them.

I understand your frustration. You're #3, and to gain a reasonable amount of points, you need to kill the top 2, or at least 10. It's not easy, and I'm currently #9, so I know it's been hard for me too. If you want to earn more points, you need to make sure your K/D ratio is very high, and you need to play against other high ranked players. You also need to participate in teamwork objectives, capping points, assist kills, blocking the cart, etc... Kill streak gives additional points, but is mainly intended for snipers (since they do not usually cap/block points).

We might look at how to improve the scoring system in the future, but so far, I think it promotes competition, gives a fair chance to new players on the servers, and it also requires a lot of skill to stay in the top10.

You're welcome to disagree, and we can talk about this issue more. Something that might keep your morale up, when you're playing on our servers, you are also ranked globally among other GameMe servers in the world. You can find your global rank by typing /rank in-game at the bottom. So even though you might not see any progress on the servers, you might see some in the Global rankings.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:21:27 PM by Plasma »
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

sour skittles

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 01:09:52 AM »
never really looked into the scoring system, but it seems that you get lot of points when you contribute in objectives like pushing the cart pass the check point. 

From my experience, the score raises very slowly no matter how good you are doing once you are in top10.  It went up fairly quickly when I just started playing on this server and I guess the scoring system does favor the newcomers.  I think it is reasonable because it motivates the newcomers to stay on our server and also motivates the regulars to work even harder.  It keeps the scoring gap to the minimum so that everyone has chance to get to the top.

btw, alien you are good pyro.  You always give me trouble when I try to sneak around haha 

see you in game!

AlienDeceptions

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:38 AM »
Here's how the scoring works:

The maximum you can win on killing someone is 25. The maximum you can lose is 12, and the minimum you can win is 2. The amount of points you get has nothing to do with what class you're playing, or your accuracy (though in the end, you need to have good accuracy to be in the top10).

When you kill someone, the plugin looks at your score, and the victim's. If your score is above his, you will win less points than if you killed someone with a higher score than you. It also scales. This means if you're just starting on the server, and your score is 1,000, killing someone like you who has +35,000 will reward them with 25 points (the maximum) because they managed to kill someone who's supposed to be in the top10 players of this server. It works for losing points the same way. If that low-ranked player kills you, you will lose the maximum amount of points, 12. The formula is: you will lose half of what the killer won.

This system was put in place because it allows for new players to have a chance to compete in the rankings, and it prevents people that play on the server 10+ hours a day to get too far ahead, that no matter what, nobody will catch up to them.

I understand your frustration. You're #3, and to gain a reasonable amount of points, you need to kill the top 2, or at least 10. It's not easy, and I'm currently #9, so I know it's been hard for me too. If you want to earn more points, you need to make sure your K/D ratio is very high, and you need to play against other high ranked players. You also need to participate in teamwork objectives, capping points, assist kills, blocking the cart, etc... Kill streak gives additional points, but is mainly intended for snipers (since they do not usually cap/block points).

We might look at how to improve the scoring system in the future, but so far, I think it promotes competition, gives a fair chance to new players on the servers, and it also requires a lot of skill to stay in the top10.

You're welcome to disagree, and we can talk about this issue more. Something that might keep your morale up, when you're playing on our servers, you are also ranked globally among other GameMe servers in the world. You can find your global rank by typing /rank in-game at the bottom. So even though you might not see any progress on the servers, you might see some in the Global rankings.

No, now it makes sense and thank you for clarifying this. I know I get killed a lot and that is because I usually always charge in to get the job done making way for the heavies to plod on in behind. I could play a more cautious game, but where is the fun in that? LOL Thanks again.

AlienDeceptions

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 03:02:46 AM »
never really looked into the scoring system, but it seems that you get lot of points when you contribute in objectives like pushing the cart pass the check point. 

From my experience, the score raises very slowly no matter how good you are doing once you are in top10.  It went up fairly quickly when I just started playing on this server and I guess the scoring system does favor the newcomers.  I think it is reasonable because it motivates the newcomers to stay on our server and also motivates the regulars to work even harder.  It keeps the scoring gap to the minimum so that everyone has chance to get to the top.

btw, alien you are good pyro.  You always give me trouble when I try to sneak around haha 

LOL. Yep, you are good too and I like playing with the top people or at least the regulars. Well with the exception of Hotel Moscow. I leave when he shows up. I have a hard time staying alive with him in the game. LOL It is not Hotel Moscow anymore since he changed his name, but I do the same thing. Bugs Bunny now. LOL I got to thinking about how much the Pryo jumps around and Bugs Bunny came to mind.
see you in game!

Dave

• Co-Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
  • There can only be (1)Dave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 04:22:50 AM »
Personally as long as I'm ahead of Plasma in rank, it's all good  :P
-Dave
Co-Admin

Hadden

• Ex-Server Admin
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:18:36 AM »
Too bad the economy doesn't work this way, where the rich cannot get richer.  Haha.

Plasma

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • HyperionGaming.org
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
I understand the system also promotes standing back and being careful. And you can't just "play for fun" if you want to keep your rank. Playing TF2 should always be about fun, but it also has to be competitive if you're playing the rankings. And since there are a lot of players on the servers, many regulars that aspire to reach the top10 board, well, you kinda have to always be playing the best you can.

Now, I don't like, as you say, that this system hinders "suicide" teamwork. Going up front as pyro to help the medic/heavy pair destroy a turret point. Teamwork should be rewarded, unfortunately, the system is limited in that regards, and the plugin will not see this. In this case, the system is broken.

We'll keep an eye on the scoring. There's something we can change that would make it easier to get points and lose a bit less than usual. We need to talk about it with Dave, and we will let you know.
Public Group:
--
Private Group:

AlienDeceptions

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 12:21:20 PM »
Too bad the economy doesn't work this way, where the rich cannot get richer.  Haha.

Ain't that the truth. LOL

AlienDeceptions

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »
I understand the system also promotes standing back and being careful. And you can't just "play for fun" if you want to keep your rank. Playing TF2 should always be about fun, but it also has to be competitive if you're playing the rankings. And since there are a lot of players on the servers, many regulars that aspire to reach the top10 board, well, you kinda have to always be playing the best you can.

Now, I don't like, as you say, that this system hinders "suicide" teamwork. Going up front as pyro to help the medic/heavy pair destroy a turret point. Teamwork should be rewarded, unfortunately, the system is limited in that regards, and the plugin will not see this. In this case, the system is broken.

We'll keep an eye on the scoring. There's something we can change that would make it easier to get points and lose a bit less than usual. We need to talk about it with Dave, and we will let you know.

Well, I am not a good player at all. I have been working at getting where I am for more than 3x as long as the other players have been. Had they been playing as long as me, they would be well ahead of me. I did not know the secret of the Engie till I had been into this game for five days. By the way, I am not a gamer. I only stumbled upon gaming when I started playing crysis 2 and I only happen to find out about TF2 after I bought a new Video Card. I wanted in on their promo deal and part of that deal was to play at least one game of TF2. I have been hooked every since then and have not even played another round of Crysis 2 and I love that game. LOL

sour skittles

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
you are lucky to run crysis 2 on your computer.  I wouldn't even bother with that because my computer barely handles tf2  :(    Anyone else use a mac to play tf2 here?