Community Discussion > Suggestions

Turning Dead Talk On

(1/8) > >>

MissMonaLisa:
I know that there was a thread created about this a few years ago, but I wanted to make a new one and revisit the subject.

Ever since I started frequenting Hyperion more and more recently, I've loved it so much more than any other server. It is now the only server I choose to play on. The only thing that maybe makes it less enjoyable for me is that there is no dead talk. If you don't know what that is, it means to be able to type or speak on the mic while you are dead, and for people that are alive to be able to hear you. Also the other team can read your chat while you're dead even if they're alive, but they can't hear your voice so its not all talk. And at the end of the round, all talk is turned on which makes it more fun.

Every other server I've played on has it and it makes game-play much easier. When dead talk is on, we can communicate with our teammates much better. For example, if a sentry is down they can push. I feel that this kind of expanded communication can really help teamwork and improve coordination. I have just felt frustrated at times when I killed a sentry or something, and was not able to let my team know, therefore no one pushed up and the gun was rebuilt.

I read that one of the concerns is people "ghosting" for their team, or calling out things they see like "spy behind you". Or perhaps someone mic spamming and making it hard for the team to hear. Or about spamming chat if angry. I used to be a regular in the TN payload rotation, which still has deadtalk, and I can vouch for it and say that none of this has ever been a problem. I have never seen a person call out a spy or whatever to an alive teammate. Spies are actually very successful and do quite well in the server, so it wouldn't affect their gaming. People don't talk a lot on the mic while dead so it isn't an issue. If someone is mic spamming, they are doing it throughout the whole game, dead or alive, so that is an admin issue to deal with. In my experience, not too many people use voice chat anyways. In hyperion, I rarely hear people speaking on the mic. I am one of the few. So I know this wouldn't be an issue.

And on another note, I feel that hyperion regulars are much more respectful and reasonable people, so I don't see issues like trying to get back at someone, or spamming chat, even while dead. When the server is full, which it usually is, by a lot of people that are regulars, I don't think these things would be an issue. Dead talk has worked out very well, and helped teams work together much better so I think we should just give it a try at least. If it doesn't work it can be changed. i understand that there will still probably be people that do call out things they shouldn't, or talk more than they should whether its chat or voice, but i feel that Hyperion is a much more "well-behaved" place so I don't see those issues becoming common occurrences. It's worth trying. Also, I don't think we should be concerned with keeping dead talk off just to help out spies lol. It's the only one that would really be affected by this, and even IF this is true, spies are very overpowered anyways, if you guys haven't noticed. Especially when I play on the server, they are just killing everyone at a very high rate. I doubt a few calls would ruin their game-play.

Many of my friends, and other regulars that I have spoken with, have expressed the same feelings as I have, and would like to see it turned on for the server.

I made this post to see if there are others that can voice their opinion and if enough people show interest, it can be changed. I think we should vote for a trial period that's all! Not permanent. Just to see if it could work. So what do you guys think?!  :)

Sparrow:
Agreed!

Unless we can get everyone on mumble, this is the next best thing for added communication.

Plasma:
Hey MissMonaLisa,

Welcome to the forums and our community in general!

Dead talk is a frequent topic, and as you mentioned it's been discussed here in the past (and several times "internally"). We even had DeadTalk ON back when our 2nd server was AllTalk enabled.

I'll update this post with more details and my thoughts on this later tonight when I have more time (especially since you've made a lot of good points).

As always, we welcome feedback/opinions from everyone, so anybody reading, feel free to jump in and share your thoughts on this particular issue.
--
(And thank you for your big donation :) )

BastidBen:
Been a long time since i've mesed with tf2. Does the tf_teamtalk setting only apply to say command, or does it apply to voicerecord too?

Nevdawg88:
Agreed! I don't think dead talk (or whatever it is called) effects gameplay in any negative way. It allows more communication between a player and his own team or a player and the opposing team. I believe even in a more serious games like CS:GO, dead talk is on by default in the official Valve servers.

And in terms of possibilities of ghosting, I don't think it would be a problem because it's not like you can spectate enemy players and inform your team of what they are doing the whole time you are dead. You can only inform them of what you saw when you died, which would be helpful for everyone.

And considering how often players die, its kind of annoying having to wait for them to respawn 15 seconds later to have them talk again :(

In any case, great servers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version