Poll

Should we keep random crits enabled, or remove them?

Keep Random Crits
19 (55.9%)
Remove Random Crits
13 (38.2%)
Don't Care
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

*AuthorTopic: Random Crits  (Read 16077 times)

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Random Crits
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »
Perhaps we make an event of it.  Pick a day of the week and have a 'Wednesday Night NoKritz' session for a couple of hours on Votation?

Alas! A good idea emerges.

apple

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
Right now, we haven't planned to remove crits or setup a no crit server.
Payload will probably never be nocrits. We want the Payload server to be as Vanilla as possible.
--
If we decide to try nocrits, it will either be on a brand new server or a heavily modified Votation server (meaning, it wouldn't be Votation anymore). At this time though, there's currently no plan to make a new server/modify the current one.

I still think this thread is very interesting, and I've seen good arguments on both side of the issue.
The main problem with setting nocrits on a server is that you're immediately disqualified from quickplay traffic. And unfortunately, while Payload is a very popular server, we do not have a large enough community to start a brand new server without help from Quickplay.

I think what you should do is set up a server just for verified/donors. It should be no-crit, and it shouldn't be limited to just payload. It can be just custom maps, or it can Valve rotation. Idk, just an idea to get another server where it should be populated. The way to make it where you can only get in is if you sort of do it like when you have donor, having your steamID so it's reserved slot. Again, just an idea.

Dave

• Co-Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
  • There can only be (1)Dave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 05:40:49 PM »
Keep in mind, crits aren't completely random. You can affect how often you crit. See this wiki: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Critical_hits#Critical_hit_chance . According to that, weapons can have up to 12% crit chance (effectively 34% extra damage) and melee attacks can have upwards of 65% crit chance (effectively 130% more damage).

If we were to remove crits, I'd want to replace that crit boost with a damage boost instead.
-Dave
Co-Admin

Dave

• Co-Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
  • There can only be (1)Dave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
Edit: Here's another article describing the crit system: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2221 .
-Dave
Co-Admin

nostylee

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »
If we were to remove crits, I'd want to replace that crit boost with a damage boost instead.

That pretty much defeats the purpose of having a no crit server.

apple

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
Keep in mind, crits aren't completely random. You can affect how often you crit. See this wiki: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Critical_hits#Critical_hit_chance . According to that, weapons can have up to 12% crit chance (effectively 34% extra damage) and melee attacks can have upwards of 65% crit chance (effectively 130% more damage).

I understand you would need to do that. But I think one thing you could do instead of increasing the damage from weapons. I believe you should just remove random crits from every weapon except melee. Keep melee, as melee usually puts you in a dangerous position.

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 06:56:58 AM »
This should be closed.  If you remove random crits the server traffic will go down and the rest doesn't have to be explained.  Apple killed me with 3 random crits the other day and he smiled.

apple

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 03:40:54 PM »
This should be closed.  If you remove random crits the server traffic will go down and the rest doesn't have to be explained.  Apple killed me with 3 random crits the other day and he smiled.

I didn't smile? Wouldn't you prefer it be no crits? :o

ATARIS

• Eat it Hankey.
  • Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
No, I'd rather laugh at the random shenaningans that happen with the random crits.  It's never expected and it makes this game unpredictable which makes it fun and hair pulling  :D

chuy409

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »
O hai Ataris. You remember axe?  :D

[SLUG] God Loves Ugly :D

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
Keep the random crits. It's always been a part of the game, and I don't believe TF2 was ever intended to be a serious "skill" game. Also, it seems like many people love it when they get a random crit off, it's when they get killed by one, it becomes annoying.

Wolfpup

• TF2 Admin - Rank: 2
  • Junior Admin
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
and I don't believe TF2 was ever intended to be a serious "skill" game

It was also never intended to be played with 32 people. 24 slots+ random critz, not as bad, 32? It's just a cluster frag of randoms. I had 6 random crit deaths in a row the other day.

If Valve had not added all the tard weapons, I wouldn't have issue, but they did, breaking my favourite (only) MP game. Randoms need to be done away with for the good of my sanity!

bluezhaan

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
random kritz favor the less skilled by giving them a chance to 1shot a more skilled opponent.  As this is a pub server looking for mass appeal, and there are a lot more low skilled players than high skilled players, I'd leave random kritz in.  The odds are already stacked far enuff against the newer players because of lower skill and teamstacking.

Poppin-Fresh

• Verified Member
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 05:28:21 AM »
Although I agree with Bluezhaan about giving less skilled an opportunity to kill the more skilled players the random critz aren't really that random. I believe it's done on a damage/min basis? So the more damage one deals, the more likely they will see a random critz opportunity for themselves. So what happens, for example, the demoman who is pocket kritz'd will likely get random critz thrown his way more often. Yes, I've been on the receiving end but I definitely have had my share of kills with 5hp with a random critz thrown my way and I can't help but think "man that was a bs kill by me." And really it's the whole 32 player aspect of random critz. On 24 player servers I'm alright with it.